Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Bars: a simple vegan and gluten-free recipe for thick, chewy, super-chunky chocolate chip cookie bars.
Okay, can I see a show of hands for people who love the warm, comforting smell of cinnamon, maple syrup and chocolate all beautifully mixed together?
‘Cuz… if I could bottle this scent and carry it around with me in my purse, I would. ?
But you know, only for the really rough times. Like, for when your coworker/frenemy passive aggressively tells you your outfit is actually cute today. Or, when you realize you left the extra-special 7-layer birthday lasagna in the oven 30 minutes too long. (Well, in this case, you’d probably need to air out the kitchen first before you could smell anything but smoke…) Or, when–oh, you get the idea.
Are you sensing that baking/eating/fooding is therapeutic to me? (Yep, fooding.) Woah, did I just sense a nod of mutual agreement on your end? A-ha! I’m not the only one. 🙂
Just one whiff of this worry-melting aroma and you’re happy as a clam. That’s what these Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Bars are all about. Once you pop these guys in the oven, the baking process just spreads this blissful scent all throughout your abode.
Bonus? They’re incredibly easy to make, full of simple ingredients and sweet-tooth nourishing. Yep, nourishing.
Check it out, these Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Bars are…
- quick and easy to make
- super chunky, with generous portions of walnuts and chocolate chips
- vegan and gluten free
- perfectly sweet, with a light cinnamon kick
- thick, chewy and deliciously satisfying
The best part is, this recipe and I go waaay back. It was one of the first recipes I ever tried that was made from better ingredients (i.e., not ingredients referred to as Those That Shall Not Be Named). Back then, I was putting all my efforts into making something healthier for my mom and just trying to figure out the difference between good calories and bad calories. *Sigh* Cue The Barbra belting out “Memories… like (light?!?) the corners of my mind!!!!” ? ?
Anyway, years later, I’m a little less clueless about the whole Good vs. Bad ingredients business, and this recipe still kicks butt. At least according to my mom. ?
So before you even think about figuring out how to bottle this scent, make these Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Bars first. Don’t worry, we can figure out the scent as a team (and sing like it’s the last thing we’ll do on this earth). After all, us weirdos have got to stick together! 😉
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted, natural nut butter
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: coconut oil, nut butter, maple syrup, sugar and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients: oats, flour, flax, cinnamon, walnuts and salt.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture. Stir together until well-incorporated. I like to fold the mixture together with a rubber spatula. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour this mixture into your baking pan. Using a rubber spatula, spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Keep in mind that the bars will harden as they cool.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Slice into 16 bars. Enjoy!
- You can easily swap out the nuts for another ingredient, like cacao nibs or dried fruit. 🙂
- Adapted from Oh She Glows.
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please re-write the entire recipe using your own words and include a link to this post for the recipe.
Try my Healthier Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies. I mean, can you really resist these?
And for my fellow chocoholics out there, try my Double Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies (Vegan) They’re out of this world. ? ?
Question of the Day
What’s your favorite kitchen scent?
I can’t wait to hear your responses. ❤️ demeter