Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Smoothie (V, GF, DF): a super thick & creamy protein-packed smoothie that tastes like hot chocolate in PB milkshake form. Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Protein-Rich, No Sugar Added.
Peanut Butter. Hot Chocolate. Smoothie. Yep, you heard me right. Make that deliciously right. Everyone, gather ‘round, I’ve got something really special for you today: a super thick, super creamy, super-in-All-the-Ways scrumptious Peanut Butter Lover’s smoothie that I seriously contemplated calling a milkshake. Because: YUM!!
Okay, fine… I’ve heard that saying “YUM!!!!” exactly like that, stylized like that, is overused and blah blah blah. But I sooooo don’t care. Because: YUM!!!
Friends, I’m beyond excited by this recipe because:
1) I’ve seriously been sitting on this guy for like 3 months;
3) er… please just erase all visuals I left in your mind by saying, “sitting on this guy for like 3 months.” Smoothies probably aren’t the best recipe to sit on. Come to think of it, are there any??? 🤔
4) this no-joke tastes like hot chocolate, in frozen form, upgraded peanut-butter style;
5) I get to write another list. Which is oddly very satisfying. Any takers?
I’m bursting at the seams (another freakish visual) to tell you how this came about! A very sweet reader, Liz we’ll call her–oh alright, her name really is Liz (hi Liz!!!)–left an even sweeter comment on my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. She said, “Maybe it’s just me but these cookies reminded me of a mix of a chocolate peanut butter shake + hot chocolate.”
Didn’t you just instantly crave that exact thing when you read it?? Yep, that’s exactly how I felt! My smoothie-lovin’ self was immediately inspired to whip up a Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Smoothie… that tasted just like a peanut butter shake + hot chocolate combined. 😍
Once I got a chance to clear out my schedule for some very careful kitchen experimentation, I got down to business. I started with my Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream Smoothie, drew some inspiration from my Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie and from the cookies Liz loved so much and got to work.
The result was so delicious, satisfying and totally deserving of its namesake (I like to think). So hopefully I didn’t let ya down, Liz! 😉 As for why I ended up taking so goshdarn long to release this recipe… well, you have holiday madness to blame for that. The clock was ticking on my pumpkin pie smoothie and my peppermint mocha frappe, so those needy buggers got pushed to the front of the list. Well, they told me the holidays would be demanding, but who thought it’d be so literal??
Anyway, I hope you love this recipe just as much and my family and I do. To be frank, all of us have been utterly clueless as to what hot chocolate recipes mean when they’re not quite, eh… in hot chocolate form.
Oh, you know what I mean! Like, what are hot chocolate cookies? Are they chocolate cookies that are made with hot chocolate mix? Were steaming cups of hot chocolate pushed into some kind of magical transformation machine and zapped into cookie form? (If so, I’ve got to put a mocha frappe into that machine…)
What about hot chocolate cake?? Like, how did bountiful, coconut-whip topped, giant cups (bowls with handles attached) of hot chocolate turn into comparatively dry layers of cake… completely lacking in liquid characteristics… uh, what was I saying? Now all I can think about is cake and bowls of coconut whip. YUM!!
Ahem. Back on track…and don’t even get me started on frozen hot chocolate. What an oxymoron. But here I stand, the biggest, goofiest human embodiment of oxymoronism. Okay fine, I just finished typing that word and it turns out it’s not even a word. Go figure.
But thankfully, before I could overthink this whole frozen HoCho concept, I got the ol’ blender out. A good, sturdy blender always saves the day, don’t you think? My final (but not really, because change is good) conclusion is… the combo of cinnamon and cocoa powder make this Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Smoothie a new, proud member of the hot chocolate family.
What do you think?
While I for-realsies eagerly await your responses, allow me the pleasure of telling you all about my Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Smoothie. It’s:
- super thick and creamy, like a milkshake
- rich, chocolatey and oh so hot chocolate… y
- vegan, gluten free, dairy free
- so easy to make
- awesomely No Sugar Added
- deliciously protein-packed
- bursting with peanut butter flavor
- made with healthy, feel-good ingredients
- plant-based and allergy-friendly
- made for both frozen and hot beverage fans
- just 5 ingredients
- perfect for a post-workout snack, pre-gym visit…
- and dessert or just ‘cuz
Grab a blender, your most deliciously frozen bananas, a few more ingredients and your appetite. This is gonna be GOOD. I’m so pleased to spend time with you in the kitchen! Be sure to let me know what fun, experimental, or even just old-fashioned classic smoothie recipes you’d love to see on the blog. I can’t wait to hear what you think of this one! In the meantime, tell me:
When do you love to enjoy a smoothie? Before a workout, as a special dessert treat, or…?
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
☀︎ Click below to Pin ☀︎
- 4 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk*
- ¼ cup unsalted, natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- - Ground cinnamon, chocolate shavings, coconut whip, unsalted, natural creamy peanut butter (for drizzle)
- Add bananas into the blender, blending until crumbly. Add almond milk. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Add peanut butter. Blend until smooth. Add cocoa powder and cinnamon, blending until well-incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the blender periodically, as needed.
- Pour into two cups and enjoy! Optionally, top with cinnamon, chocolate, coconut whip, and peanut butter.
- *I like my smoothies super thick, but if you prefer a more liquidy version, add up to an extra ½ cup of almond milk (for a total of 1 cup almond milk).
- More smoothie recipes (all vegan + gluten free): mango chia seed smoothie, chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, strawberry chia seed smoothie.
- High protein treats to go with your smoothie (all V, GF, and DF): cranberry coconut bites, chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats, peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please re-write the entire recipe using your own words and include a link to this post for the recipe.
☀︎ More Amazing Smoothie & Frozen Drink Recipes ☀︎
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Protein-Packed)
Vegan Strawberry Peanut Butter Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Protein-Packed)
Paleo Mocha Frappe (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo)
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Protein-Packed)
Even more incredible frozen drink recipes….
Green Warrior Protein Smoothie (Vegan, High Fiber) by Oh She Glows
Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Shake (No Added Sugar, Vegan) by Detoxinista
Coconut Coffee Frappuccino (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie (Vegan, Protein-Rich) by Namely Marly
Strawberry Coconut Milkshake (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free)