Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (V, GF, DF): an easy recipe for soft, decadent chocolate cookies packed with chocolate chips. Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free.
You’ll faint, you’ll stare, you’ll gawk, and you’ll simply stand there starry-eyed. YES. All of these things have been known to happen when enjoying these out-of-this-world AMAZING vegan double chocolate chip cookies.
By now, you might know that I’m a chocolate cup connoisseur, but have you heard from my mama and others of high import that I am a COOKIE FANATIC? Okay, sorry for screaming at you on a Monday. But GUYS!!! You will simply love this recipe. What more can I say? 🍪
Oh yeah, plenty. But only because I like to keep my fingers in tip-top shape for baking by, you know, typing a lot. Ahem.
Remember when I told you Erik and I were thinking about holiday recipes while jogging? Well, it turns out that thinking up dessert ideas while running isn’t just good motivation to run faster, but it’s also good for the ol’ sweet tooth!
While we were running, I told Erik to just give it to me straight-up. I asked him, “What are your favorite Christmas cookies? What do you really really love to eat during the holidays?” And even though I’ve known him for almost 8 years, I was still surprised and pleased to hear about all the holiday treats he loved growing up.
There were: double chocolate pecan brownies, mint chocolate brownies, peanut butter cups and chocolate frosted rice crispy treats. His list went on and on, making us both hungrier and hungrier. But I won’t spoil the surprise of other treats he asked for. You’ll see shortly. 😉 The
good tasty news is that I already got to crackin’ on that list and some are already posted on this here blog! Woohooo!!!
But the one thing he really, really wanted, above all else, was double chocolate chip cookies. Like, that’s no big deal, right? Wrong, so wrong… You see, I do not take cookies lightly. Cookies are a big deal in this house. We don’t want to anger the cookie gods—alright there’s only one, and he’s named The Cookie Monster.
Like, what if we angered him and he, I dunno… came and ate us???
J/k. Cookie Monster isn’t that scary. Ahem.
Just, you know, walk lightly when you’re around those crazy eyes. 😉 But the thing is, double chocolate chip cookies, heck chocolate chip cookies, are no joke! Make that vegan double chocolate chip cookies. <–An even less humorous non-joke. I have yet to release even my official vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Yes, I’m taking this as seriously as a musical artist would an official tour or ultimate album or something. It’s just that I wanted to make sure these cookies are as good as I can humanly make them.
Guess what? These are IT. On the first day of baking, they’re chewy and a tad crispy. By day two, they’re so soft and delicious. They’re bursting with so much chocolate awesomeness that you’ll seriously want to hug me, the scary Cookie Monster and everyone around you once you take a bite. Just… don’t look CM in the eye. M’kay? 😉
15 minutes after slapping Erik’s hand away from a fresh-from-the-oven batch, I let him have a bite (or seven). His eyes grew round and big, like he was a Pixar character, he chewed, then chewed, and then paused, uncharacteristically not saying a thing. Then, he said, “OH WOW.” Grabbed another cookie, then mouthful of crumbs (à la Cookie Monster, of course) and said, “OH WOW WOWOWOWOW.”
“Want. More. COOKIES!!!!”
Yep, these cookies rendered him full-sentence-less. And, they kinda turned him into a Cookie Monster. Blue fur and everything. That, my friends, is the power of these cookies. You’ll see. 😉 Okay, you won’t see blue fur, thank goodness. But you will most likely be eating cookies like it’s your job. 🍪💼
Bonus, like crazy-amazing-happy-fireworks-spectacular bonus, this vegan double chocolate chip cookies recipe has only ¼ cup coconut sugar and ¼ cup maple syrup in it. That’s for roughly 23 cookies. DUDE. And you wouldn’t guess that at all when you’re enjoying one (or three).
And just in case you’re actually in more of a single chocolate (and not double chocolate) mood, you’ve got to try my friend Lindsay’s The best vegan chocolate chip cookies (Paleo) on her fabulous blog, Cotter Crunch. Just… YUM!
While I’m regaling you with all of these cookies awesome points (huh?), I might as well shower you with some amazing bullet points. Ready? Okay! 😉 These Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are:
- made in just two bowls
- a Chocolate Lover’s dream come true
- vegan, gluten free, dairy free
- soft, indulgent and decadent
- made with simple ingredients
- bursting with chocolate
- perfect for the holidays
- plant-based and allergy-friendly
- so gonna appease the crazy Cookie Monster
- and you
So whaddya say? Want to join my family and me in making a double batch (so no one has to fight)? 😉 I hope these cookies make it to your holiday parties and, well, belly. Because that’s where they’re meant to be. 🙂 I can’t wait to hear what you think.
Tell me, what’s your favorite holiday cookie of all time?
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
☀︎ Click below to Pin ☀︎
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free oat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water, whisked together, set for 10 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- For topping: 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside for later.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients: coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, flax eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until the mixture is thoroughly combined and resembles caramel.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Whisk until you get a sticky and thoroughly combined ball of soft dough. The last few stirs will be a bit tough. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl and let sit for 10-15 minutes at room temperature—this allows the dry mixture to absorb the wet mixture and become more cohesive.*
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a fork, flatten cookies into a round disc of desired thickness—they won’t spread much during baking. Press chocolate chips into the tops of the cookies.
- Bake for 8-14 minutes. Mine took 10 minutes. Using a flat, heatproof spatula, carefully lift cookies off the baking sheet and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- More cookie recipes (all V+GF): peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal, trail mix, and pumpkin chocolate chip (paleo).
- More chocolate recipes: double chocolate pecan brownies, paleo almond joy, and chocolate PB rice crispy treats.
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please re-write the entire recipe using your own words and include a link to this post for the recipe.
Cookies are ALWAYS a good idea. Try my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free). So. Crazy. Good.
Need some brownies to keep your cookies company? Try my deliciously decadent Double Chocolate Pecan Brownies (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free).
Sometimes you just need to take a hike… on a trail. With these cookies! 😝 Try my Gluten Free Vegan Trail Mix Cookies (V, GF, Dairy Free). So simple, so delicious.