Chocolate Covered Coconut Granola (V+GF): A simple recipe for rich, chocolatey, crunchy granola covered in chocolate and coconut. Vegan and Gluten Free.
- 1 ½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes, more later
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil or nonstick spray
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line two medium baking sheets with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Make the granola: In a large bowl, use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to stir together the dry ingredients: rolled oats, coconut, ground flax and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder and maple syrup. Add vanilla and stir until very well incorporated and smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture. Stir until the granola is evenly coated in the wet mixture.
- Pour the granola onto the prepared baking sheets and spread into an even layer. Create pockets of space between clusters of granola so it can really crisp up. Set your large mixing bowl aside for later. You’ll need it after the granola is done baking.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes on one side, then flip the granola over with a spatula. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. Monitor the granola closely so it doesn’t burn. Don’t worry if the granola is slightly soft. It will harden up as it cools. Clear some space in your freezer for a large baking sheet. You’ll need this space later. Remove granola from the oven and pour into the large mixing bowl.
- Melt the chocolate: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil (or coat with nonstick spray). Stir until chocolate is just slightly soft and melted. Quickly remove from heat, placing on a insulated surface. Continue stirring until smooth.
Alternate chocolate melting method (microwave): Place chocolate chips and ½ teaspoon coconut oil in a bowl. Heat in the microwave for 10-20 seconds, until chocolate is softened. Stir until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate over granola and fold until granola is well coated. Fold in ¾ cup toasted coconut. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Pour the granola onto this sheet, in an even layer. Place the baking sheet, with an insulating cloth underneath, in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer. Break granola into clusters by hand. Enjoy!
– Store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
– Recipe adapted from my Chocolate Almond Coconut Granola.
- Category: Snacks, Vegan, Gluten Free