THE fluffiest pumpkin pancakes with lightly sweet, big pumpkin spice flavor and tender crumb, all topped with whipped cream and rivers of pure maple syrup and pecans!
Homemade buttermilk – learn how to make vegan buttermilk here
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or white vinegar
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk (preferred) or milk of choice
PUMPKIN SPICE PANCAKES
- 1 ¼ cups unbleached, all purpose flour – spooned and leveled
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg or egg of choice (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisked together, set for 10 minutes)
- ½ cup 100% pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter of choice
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pure maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Chopped pecans
- Make buttermilk: Add apple cider vinegar to a small mixing bowl or large measuring cup. Add soy milk. Whisk together and let set for about 5 to 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Sift the dry ingredients: Sift the flour, spices, baking powder and salt together into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until well mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients: Pour the buttermilk, flax egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, melted butter, milk and vanilla over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Combine: Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined, being careful not to overmix, as this will result in dense pancakes. You’ll want to whisk well until mostly smooth, with just a few tiny pebbles of flour throughout —these will incorporate into the batter as it sets in the next step.
- Set batter for 5 minutes. Your pancake batter is ready!
- Prep the Skillet: Set a nonstick skillet onto your stovetop. Turn the heat to medium, waiting until the skillet is evenly heated but not burning or smoking. We won’t be using butter to coat the skillet, as the butter flavor will overpower the delicious pumpkin taste. Make sure to use a truly nonstick skillet.
- Make Pancakes: Using a large scoop, scoop ¼ cup of pancake batter into the center of the skillet. Then, using the rim of the scoop, smooth the batter into an even layered circle about 1/3“ thick. The batter will rise as it cooks.
- Allow the batter to cook until bubbles form throughout the center of the pancake. About 1-2 minutes. Mine took 1 minute and 15 seconds. Using a pancake spatula, gently lift the edge of the pancake to test that it can be flipped. Flip the pancake. When flipping the pancakes, if the batter spills to the side a bit, gently nudge it back into the center of the pan.
- Cook for about 1 minute, until golden brown on the underside touching the skillet. Transfer to a plate, then turn the heat to medium low.
- Repeat for the rest of the batter.
- Place pancakes to cool on a cooling rack until ready to serve.
- Serve in a stack with pure maple syrup, whipped cream and chopped pecans. Enjoy!
How to make Gluten Free: Simply swap the all purpose flour with gluten free flour. Note: every brand of gluten free flour works differently, so proceed with caution and a heart for adventure here. 😉
What if I want to leave out the Pumpkin and make plain pancakes? Try my incredible fluffy vegan buttermilk pancakes!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American