Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe: the BEST healthy banana muffins—secretly healthy, soft ‘n dense banana bread-style muffins with lightly sweet, comforting banana flavor. Made with healthy, whole ingredients.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons mashed, very ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with parchment muffin liners or unbleached muffin liners.
- Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter (recommended) or sturdy whisk, mash bananas until smooth. Add remaining wet ingredients: oil, sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add all dry ingredients: oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together as long as you can. If needed, switch to stirring and folding with a rubber spatula until well incorporated and no flour patches remain. Fold in nuts, if using.
- Using a large scoop, scoop and drop batter into prepared muffin pan. Fill batter completely to the top for a smaller quantity of high, round-topped muffins or ¾ of the way for a higher quantity of medium muffins. Use a spoon or spatula to shape the batter into a round top—the muffins will bake up very close to how they look raw–that’s why I love using the large scoop.
- Bake for 16-24 minutes. Mine took 20 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a toothpick into a muffin in the center of the pan. When the toothpick comes out clean-ish, with just a few moist bits, it’s done.
- Allow to cool in pan, set on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Then, transfer muffins directly onto the cooling rack to finish cooling for about 1 hour before storing, or enjoy immediately. Storing instructions below.
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Freezing Instructions: These muffins freeze well. Store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before enjoying. Or, heat in 15-second increments in the microwave until warm.
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy banana muffins recipe, best healthy banana muffins