Rich and luxurious tahini combines magically with silky chocolate and creamy almond butter for the best ever vegan tahini chocolate chip cookies.
Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons natural, unsalted creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted tahini
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water, whisked together, set for 10 minutes)
- ¼ cup + 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2–3 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except chocolate. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until thoroughly mixed—you’ll want to fold past the sticky stage where the dough clings to the bowl, and into the stage where your dough clumps up into a ball and no flour or tahini/almond butter patches remain.
- Fold in vegan chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop and drop cookie dough onto baking sheet, evenly spaced apart. Do not roll cookie dough in the palm of your hands—this will cause the dough to warm up and release too much oil, resulting in spread out cookies with unseemly crispy edges.
- With the palm of your hand, quickly flatten cookies about halfway. The cookies will spread during baking. If the cookies will separate a bit as you flatten it, press the dough back together with your fingers until you get smooth, cohesive edges. Dot with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes. Mine took 14 minutes. Place cookie sheet on a cooling rack, and allow cookies to cool directly on the sheet for 15-20 minutes—do not remove from sheet for at least 15 minutes, as cookies are fragile. Using a heatproof spatula, transfer cookies directly onto the cooling rack to cool for about 30 minutes, or until completely cooled. Enjoy! Storing notes below.
Storing Instructions: After cooling cookies completely, store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks. Keep cookies away from direct sunlight or heat sources, which could spoil the cookies.
Freezing Instructions: Once cookies are cool, store in a freezer-friendly container in the freezer for 1-3 months. Before enjoying, allow cookies to thaw at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Or, heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warmed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake