Cozy, moist and comforting banana bread bars topped with a sweet, crunchy oat streusel. Made with oat flour, almond meal and maple syrup, these bars are the perfect start to your morning.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons oat flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ cup pecan pieces or chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons solid coconut oil
BANANA BREAD INGREDIENTS
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water whisked together, left to set for 5 mins)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup oat flour
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups almond meal
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 8×8 baking pans with parchment or greased foil.
- Make the streusel: In a medium bowl, mix all streusel ingredients until well incorporated. Set aside for later.
- Make the banana bread bars: Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy whisk or fork, mash bananas until smooth. Add the applesauce, vanilla, flax egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar and almond milk. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add oat flour, wheat flour, almond meal, rolled oats, baking powder and cinnamon. Whisk together until no white patches of flour remain. Do not overmix.
- Pour half of the batter into each of the baking pans. Use a rubber spatula to smooth batter into an even layer. Sprinkle generously with streusel.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pans on a cooling rack for 1 hour. Slice and enjoy!
– Store in an airtight container, away from direct sunlight and heat for up to 2 weeks.
– These bars also freeze well for 4-6 weeks. Allow to defrost in the fridge overnight, or set out on the counter for a few hours.
– If you don’t care about making this vegan, you may replace the flax egg with a chicken egg, the applesauce with yogurt, the coconut oil with butter and the nut milk with any milk.
– You can also make this recipe in one 9×9 pan. The bake time will be 35-45 mins.
– Banana bread recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker, which is adapted from Takeamegabite.
- Category: breakfast, vegan, bread