Vegan ice cream sandwiches: A chocolate shell twist on the frozen classic. A thick layer of raw cashew ice cream sandwiched between two layers of homemade chocolate shell. Mouthwateringly good for dessert or breakfast.
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, divided
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil, divided
- ¼ cup maple syrup, divided
Vanilla Ice Cream
- ¾ cup raw cashew pieces
- ½ cup nut milk (almond, cashew, or whatever you prefer)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Soak raw cashews for 3 hours.
- Line an 8×8 pan with wax paper or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the first chocolate shell layer: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of each of the following: cocoa powder, melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture onto the lined pan. You need to work quickly as this chocolate shell sets very fast. Set this pan in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Make the vanilla ice cream: In a small saucepan over low heat, warm up nut milk and coconut oil until smooth. Remove from heat. Allow to reach room temperature.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Place the cashews into a small to medium-sized food processor or blender.
- Add coconut oil, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract into processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Take the baking pan out of the freezer. Pour the cashew mixture over the chocolate layer, making sure to create an even layer. Carefully place the pan back into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- When the cashew layer is completely frozen, make the last chocolate layer.
- Make the last chocolate shell layer: In the same medium-sized bowl from earlier, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons each of cocoa powder, melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Whisk together until smooth. Take your pan out of the freezer and quickly pour and smooth the chocolate mixture over the frozen cashew layer. Place back into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Slice into ice cream sandwiches: Remove the pan from the freezer. Lift the bars out by pinching two ends of the wax or parchment paper. Set onto an even surface. Slice into 16 pieces. Enjoy immediately.
– These store very well in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2-4 weeks. Separate layers of ice cream sandwiches with wax paper or foil.
– Adapted from this recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: vegan, dessert