Adorable mini, heart-shaped, two-layer chocolate cakes topped with slightly sweet coconut oil frosting. An impressive and delightul treat to make for any occasion.
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar*
Coconut Oil Frosting
- ½ cup solid coconut oil
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar (more or less as needed)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or any milk
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut shreds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a small cookie sheet with parchment paper or greased foil.
- Make chocolate cake: In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: white whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients: warm water, applesauce, vanilla extract, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Make a well in the large bowl of dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into well. Mix until just combined (be careful not to overmix).
- Pour batter onto the prepared cookie sheet. Use a rubber spatula to spread batter into an even layer. This layer is going to be between ½” to 2/3” thin. Bake for 10-15 mins.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool on a rack for 1 hour.
- Make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, add solid coconut oil. Mix on low speed, with the whisk attachment until softened. Add in ¼ cup of confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder. Mix in vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon almond milk. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the whisk attachment as needed.
- Slowly add ¼ cup increments of confectioners sugar until you reach the desired consistency. If the frosting is too thick, you can add in another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too runny, add in more confectioners sugar.
- Assemble the cakes: Once the cake is completely cool to the touch, it’s time to cut them into hearts! Gently lift the cake from the pan by grabbing the parchment or foil.
- Lay on a flat surface, suitable for cutting. Using heart-shaped cookie cutters, cut heart-shaped pieces of cake. Spread frosting on one heart-shaped cake piece, then add another piece directly on top. Frost the top of the top of that cake, then garnish with coconut. Repeat.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Distilled white vinegar is okay.
Store cakes in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Best enjoyed within a couple days.
Frosting is best used immediately.
Cake adapted from this recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: dessert