Learn how to make a greyhound drink that pairs gin so well with grapefruit! It’s tart with a refreshing, juicy bitterness that’s signature to tangy grapefruits.
The Greyhound Cocktail: a Tart & Tangy Grapefruit Delight
When I first heard about a greyhound cocktail, I thought, “who in the heck would want to drink grapefruit juice with alcohol, let alone have the burden of having to eat said grapefruit in any way, shape or form?” And then I made the Greyhound drink recipe and found it to be oddly tantalizing, unexpectedly refreshing, and oh-so pretty (with a dope name, let’s be real here.) So are you ready to learn how to make a Greyhound drink with me? Let’s stir this!
But Like, What’s in a Greyhound Drink?
You might be wondering what’s in a greyhound drink. Well, the answer is super simple. A Greyhound drink is made with just two ingredients:
- Grapefruit juice
Tell Me… What is a Greyhound Drink?
The Greyhound drink or Greyhound cocktail is a tart, classic cocktail made with two ingredients: grapefruit juice and gin.
The History of the Greyhound Cocktail
Finally, a definite answer! It seems that so many cocktail recipes’ origins are murky, based on urban legend, and highly contested. But the greyhound cocktail, as we know it today, was written about by Harry Craddock in The Savory Cocktail Book in 1930. 
Then, in 1945, the still-popular Harper’s Bazaar magazine printed the recipe and called it a “Greyhound.” Guess why? Because the grapefruit-infused cocktail was popular at Greyhound bus terminals!   
How to Make a Greyhound Drink
It’s super simple to learn how to make a greyhound drink.
First, fill a Collins glass with ice.
Second, pour gin over the ice.
Third, fill the glass to the top with grapefruit juice.
Fourth, stir the gin and juice together.
Lastly, garnish with a lime wedge.
Sip and enjoy! It’s truly that easy.
More Curious Cocktail Recipes to Tickle Your Tongue
Tools You Need
Sour ‘n Sweet Greets!
Yep, that’s my odd way of saying hello, friend. I hope you enjoyed today’s curious cocktail—it’s pretty, it’s tart, and it’s surprisingly tantalizing on the tastebuds. If you make this cocktail, be sure to take a pic & share it on Instagram, tagging me at @beamingbaker. I’d love to see it. ‘Til our next mixology adventure…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ♥️
🐶 📸 🍸Print
Learn how to make a greyhound drink the pairs gin so well with grapefruit! It’s tart with a refreshing, juicy bitterness that’s signature to tangy grapefruits.
Greyhound Cocktail Recipe
- 2oz gin
- fill to top with grapefruit juice
- Lime wedge
- Fill a Collins or highball glass with ice. Pour gin over the ice.
- Pour grapefruit juice over the gin, filling the glass nearly to the top. Using a stirring spoon, give it a few stirs to mix the juice and gin.
- Garnish the rim of the Collins glass with a lime wedge. Sip and enjoy.
You may replace the gin with vodka.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Drinks, Cocktails
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
Wanna help grow the Beaming Baker community? ☀️
You play such an important part in the livelihood of Beaming Baker–and just know that Erik and I truly appreciate it. 🧡 If you want to help grow the BB community, you can do the following:
- 📝 Leave a comment & rating. When you try a recipe, leave a comment and star rating to let us know how you liked the recipe. It truly helps all of our readers discover which recipe works best–and keeps us going in the right direction.
- 📸 Instagram. Made a recipe? Take a photo and share it on Instagram with the tag #beamingbaker and tag us at @beamingbaker. It makes our day to see how the recipe turned out for you!
- 👭 Tell a friend. You know when you love something, you can’t help but tell others about it? If you love any of the recipes on Beaming Baker, tell a friend. 🙂 It truly helps to grow the BB community. ☀️
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Beaming Baker.