The BEST chocolate peppermint cookies: deep, decadently rich chocolate cookies with a candy cane twist!
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour or oat flour
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted, unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons cane sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 egg of choice, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips
- 3–5 tablespoons crushed peppermint candy (candy canes)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly greased foil, or use a nonstick cookie sheet. Set aside for later.
- For the Dry Ingredients: Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk until well mixed.
- For the Wet Ingredients: Add butter, cane sugar, brown sugar, egg, peppermint, vanilla, and maple syrup to a large bowl. Whisk until well mixed.
- Combine: Pour the dry ingredients into the large bowl. Whisk as long as you can, then switch to stirring and folding with a rubber spatula until well mixed and no flour patches remain. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the freezer for 15-25 minutes, or until chilled and firm throughout. The dough is ready when it’s cold even in the center and just-slightly soft enough to scoop.
- While the dough is chilling, prepare the peppermint candy. Crush candy into medium-small pieces—not too small to avoid melting candy. Pour crushed candy into a small, shallow rimmed bowl or plate.
- Once the dough is chilled, scoop and drop balls of cookie onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, flatten cookies about halfway. Repeat for all cookies, spacing them evenly apart. Cookies will spread a bit during baking.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. Mine took 12 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and place on a heatproof surface. Carefully press crushed candy cane pieces and a few chocolate chips into the tops of each cookie.
- Place the cookie sheet back into the oven and bake for 2 minutes.
- Cool cookies on the sheet for about 10 minutes, then using a heatproof spatula, transfer directly onto a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Storing Instructions: store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Freezing Instructions: store cookies in a freezer-friendly container in the freezer for 1-3 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature or heat until just warm before serving.
How to make Gluten Free: use gluten free oat flour. Keep everything else the same.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American