The best Vegan Brussels sprouts recipe: cooked until tender on the inside, crisp and lightly charred on the outside, with just enough seasoning to celebrate the delicious simplicity of brussels sprouts!
Vegan Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Craving the perfect vegan brussel sprout recipe? Wait a minute, did I actually mean vegan brussels sprouts recipe?! There, that’s better. This recipe celebrates the delicious simplicity of brussels sprouts with a touch of salt and pepper for savory satisfaction, and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for a taste of umami.
Ingredients & Substitutions
All you need are 4-5 basic pantry ingredients to make this simply delicious vegan brussels sprouts recipe. You can also customize the recipe to your liking with the substitutions listed below:
- Brussels sprouts – make sure to use Brussels sprouts that are fresh and don’t have browned leaves. If need be, peel and discard any weird-looking bits. Use your judgement to ensure fresh, safe ingredients.
- Olive oil – can be substituted with another cooking oil, like avocado oil.
- Nutritional yeast – you can skip this altogether if you dislike nutritional yeast. For a flavor boost, you can try sprinkling some garlic salt or paprika over your vegan brussels sprouts once they’re done baking.
- Salt and pepper – use as much as as little as you’d like. I used ¼ teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. You can double that or even halve it.
Are Brussels Sprouts Vegan?
Yes, brussels sprouts are naturally vegan. However, many recipes make Brussels sprouts with dairy-based butter, or other animal products. Today’s vegan brussels sprouts recipe is made with olive oil and nutritional yeast and without any animal products, thereby making it vegan.
Are Brussels Sprouts a Veggie?
Yes, brussels sprouts are a veggie. In fact, brussels sprouts are categorized as the same kind of vegetables as cauliflower, cabbage, kale, broccoli, and collard greens. All these vegetables are classified as cruciferous vegetables, which all owe their unique smell and flavor to glucosinolate, a phytochemical. 
How to Make Vegan Brussels Sprouts
Don’t worry, we’ll go over exactly how to make vegan brussels sprouts step-by-step, with photos to help you along.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Then, line a large baking sheet with lightly greased foil or parchment paper.
Then, wash brussels sprouts and pat dry. Trim off the ends, and then slice each one in half.
Next, pour the prepared brussels sprouts into a large mixing bowl.
Drizzle olive oil, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper over the brussels sprouts. Toss everything to coat.
Now, transfer the seasoned brussels sprouts onto the prepared baking sheet.
Spread into an even layer, with a bit of space in between for air to come through. Then, remove any stray leaves to avoid burning them.
Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and flip everything. Add in the loose eaves from before, then bake for about 18 more minutes until crisp on the exterior, tender on the interior.
Serve and enjoy the very best vegan brussels sprouts recipe! Feel free to add more salt and pepper to taste.
Celebrating the simplicity of brussels sprouts. A touch of salt and pepper for savory satisfaction; nutritional yeast for a taste of umami.
Storing & Freezing This Vegan Brussels Sprouts Recipe
In the Refrigerator
While this vegan brussel sprout recipe is best served immediately, you can also cool, then store them in the refrigerator for 1-3 days. Make sure to keep this vegetable side dish in an airtight container and heat before serving.s
In the Freezer
I don’t recommend storing this vegan brussels sprouts recipe in the freezer. It’s best served day of. However, if you don’t mind your veggies a bit soggy, go ahead and cool Brussels sprouts completely, then store in the freezer for 1-3 weeks.
What to Serve with Brussels Sprouts (Vegan)
- Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
- Maple Glazed Carrots
- Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- Chickpea Salad Recipe w/ Cucumbers & Avocado
Tools You Need for this Vegan Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Everyday I’m Brusselin’
I used to absolutely despise brussels sprouts! But really, I’d never even eaten them! (Blame TV). Now, I’m a huge fan, and I hope you will be too with my vegan brussels sprouts recipe. 🙂
If you make and enjoy my recipe, be sure to take a picture and post it on Instagram and Facebook using the tags @beamingbaker and #beamingbaker to let me know. It means the world to me. Wishing you and your loved ones a truly joyful holiday season…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️Print
🥬 📸 🥬
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you.
More Seasonal Recipes 🍁
- Maple Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Blistered Green Beans
- Streusel Topping
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Wanna help grow the Beaming Baker community? ☀️
- 📝 Leave a comment & rating. When you try a recipe, leave a comment and star rating to let us know how you liked the recipe. It truly helps all of our readers discover which recipe works best–and keeps us going in the right direction.