The perfect roasted potatoes and carrots have a touch of sweetness and spice for the ultimate comfort vegetable side dish.
Simple, Easy, and Elegant: Beautifully Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
What does it take to make deliciously simple & elegant Roasted Potatoes and Carrots?
Subtle herbs, a hint of warm maple syrup, and a touch of heat. Check, check, and check! Glazed carrots and savory roasted potatoes pair beautifully for the best ever roasted potatoes and carrots recipe.
The Ingredients List
How does one pair gorgeously bright carrots with the savory creaminess of potatoes? Use simple ingredients, a touch of sweet and a touch of heat for the just-right balance of flavor in the best roasted carrots and potatoes.
- Small or creamer potatoes
- Maple syrup
- Dried thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil & butter
How to Make Roasted Potatoes and Carrots in the Oven
Follow with me step-by-step in the kitchen to learn how to make the best roasted potatoes and carrots!
Preheat the oven
As always, you’ll want to start by preheating the oven (to 400°F). Then, line and lightly grease the foil on a baking sheet.
Wash the potatoes and carrots
Next, wash and dry the potatoes, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes or halves.
Wash and dry the carrots, then peel and slice into ½-inch angled coins. You’re halfway to roasted potatoes and carrots! 😉
Add oil to the potatoes and carrots
Now, add carrots and potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
Season for the best roasted potatoes and carrots
Pour in oil, butter, maple syrup, thyme, paprika, cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste. Next, grab a spatula and stir to coat the potatoes and carrots in seasonings and oil.
Pour everything onto the baking sheet
At this point, you’re ready to pour the seasoned potatoes and carrots onto the baking sheet. Spread into an even layer, then make your roasted potatoes and carrots!
Bake, flip, then bake again
Bake potatoes and carrots for 20 mins, then flip and bake for about 20 more minutes or until tender. You can bake longer for softer roasted potatoes and carrots, or shorter for a crunchier texture.
Serve, drizzle & enjoy
Pour into a serving dish and drizzle with maple syrup, and salt and pepper if needed. Then, enjoy the best roasted potatoes and carrots!
What Makes This Roasted Potatoes and Carrots Recipe So Special?
- Thyme adds a subtle herby flavor
- Maple syrup adds sweetness
- Paprika adds smokiness
- Cayenne brings a touch of heat
- Not too much seasoning, just enough to celebrate the flavors of roasted potatoes and carrots!
Best Potatoes for Roasting
The best potatoes for roasting are similar in size, which allows them to cook tender on the inside and crispy on the outside–thus the desire for a thin skin, and are creamy, but a bit starchy. 
For most roasted recipes, Yukon Gold potatoes will do well; for this recipe, I use both Yukon gold potatoes which are creamy and cook quickly and red potatoes which are waxy and firm even after cooking. They’re both considered creamer potatoes. 
Want to skip oven roasting? Try my Maple Glazed Carrots, cooked on the stovetop!
- Evenly cut the potatoes when you’re doing the prep work for this side dish. The more uniform the sizes of the potatoes, the more evenly cooked it will be throughout.
- Adjust the flavor to your liking. You can use more paprika and cayenne for a spicier side dish, or less salt to reduce the sodium. Make sure this side dish suits you.
- Add a drizzle of honey… instead of maple syrup if you’d like a lighter, warmer sweetness.
Recipe Variations: Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Add cheese. You know what makes nearly everything taste better? Cheese! Sprinkle freshly-shaved parmesan, feta crumbles, or really any cheese you’d like over these roasted carrots and potatoes after roasting. Then, stir until melted and well mixed. Related: Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Swap the sweetener. I love using maple syrup to roast potatoes and carrots, however, you might prefer the less-present sweetness of honey.
- Change up the herbs. While I’ve used thyme, paprika, and a small amount of cayenne to make this recipe, you can feel free to use anything! Try dried garlic, Italian seasoning, dried rosemary and more.
- Swap the veggies. You can swap the carrots in this side dish recipe with green beans, purple carrots, onions and more. Also try my Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes.
Delicious Seasonal Recipes 🍂
- Blistered Green Beans
- Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
- Maple Brussels Sprouts
- Pumpkin Donuts + Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
Tools You Need for Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
Wanna be best spuddies? Leave a comment below & chat with me. I truly can’t wait to see what you think of these roasted potatoes and carrots! I am so grateful that you’re here, sharing in these kitchen adventures with me and your loved ones. ‘Til the next one…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
🥔 📸 🥕Print
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you.