Vegan Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes (V, GF): a festive recipe for rich ‘n moist chocolate cupcakes bursting with peppermint mocha flavors and topped with rich, smooth frosting. Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free.
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons hot or warm coffee
- ½ cup non-dairy milk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 10 oz. container Simple Mills Chocolate Frosting
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons crushed vegan candy canes
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, instant coffee and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients: coffee, milk, oil, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and peppermint. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared muffin pan—filling each cup about 3/4 of the way. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Mine took 18 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out with a few moist bits of cake on it, but no liquidy batter.
- Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin pan and continue cooling on rack for 1-3 hours. Cool completely before frosting.
- Frost the cupcakes: In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, add frosting and peppermint. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat together until fluffy and well mixed.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes. Top with crushed candy canes. Melt the chocolate using the double boiler method or do the following. Add chocolate to a small, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20-second increments until melted. Stir in between increments, until smooth. Transfer melted chocolate to a small drizzling bottle or to a small zip bag with a tiny corner trimmed off. Drizzle cupcakes. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
– Adapted from my Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes.
– Try Simple Mills Chocolate Muffin & Cake Mix for a fast ‘n easy timesaver!
– Storage notes: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Okay to keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, in a cool, dark environment. If keeping a few days before serving, wait to decorate with candy canes and melted chocolate until day of serving.
– Freezing Instructions: Store frosted cupcakes in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 1-2 hours before enjoying.
– More Festive Gluten Free Vegan Treats: Peppermint Mocha Frappe, Peppermint Fudge, Peppermint Ganache Brownies.
- Cuisine: Cupcakes, Dessert, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free