Fresh basil, creamy pine nuts, vegan parmesan, and olive oil come together for the BEST Vegan Pesto made in minutes!
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil (1.5 oz, 44g), packed & divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup vegan Parmesan (preferred) or 2-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 5–7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add peeled garlic, half of the basil, pine nuts, and vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast, salt and pepper (to taste) to a food processor.
- Blend until finely chopped.
- Add the remaining basil. Blend until you get a paste-like consistency throughout. You’ll want to stop before the tiny bits of pine nuts and basil get completely obliterated, but still far enough that it’s creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bin as needed.
- NOTE: for creamy, smoother pesto, blend a bit more; for chunkier, greener pesto, hold back a bit with blending. The pesto in my pics is just a few pulses more than super green, chunkier pesto. I like it right in between.
- Don’t worry, the more you make this, the more you’ll get a feel for exactly how you like it.
- With the food processor running on low, slowly pour the olive oil into the feed chute (the chimney-shaped opening) and blend until emulsified and uniform throughout. Add more oil if using for a pasta (making it thinner), less if using as a topping for toast (making it thicker).
- Pour into a small, airtight container with the least amount of air left in the jar (for example, don’t use a large jar that will only fill up ¼ of the way). Then, pour a thin layer of olive oil over the pesto. Seal and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover pesto with a layer of olive oil before sealing the container to protect from oxidization.
Freezing Instructions: You can also freeze this pesto for 1-3 months.
How to make Vegan: Keep as is.
How to make Gluten Free: Keep as is.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: Italian