Jack Skellington Mounds Cups (V, GF): a spooktacular 4-ingredient recipe for paleo mounds cups inspired by The Nightmare Before Christmas. Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free.
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut, shreds or flakes
- ¼ cup coconut oil, solid or melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Chocolate Dip Layer
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil
- Line a standard 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside for later.
- Make the coconut cups: Add coconut, oil and maple syrup to a food processor. Blend until you get a wet and sticky dough-like mixture, with just a bit of texture.
- Pour coconut mixture into the prepared muffin pan. Each cup will be about 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of coconut. Press down and smooth until you get a tightly packed layer. I like to use one hand to hold the liner in place and another hand to press down on the coconut. Freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove coconut cups from freezer. Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment. Peel liners off coconut cups. Lay cups on the prepared sheet, evenly spaced apart. Transfer to freezer.
- Make the Chocolate Dip Layer: Use the double boiler method, or the following. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, add the Chocolate Dip Layer ingredients: ½ cup vegan chocolate chips + 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Heat in 20 second increments until just slightly softened and melted. Stir until smooth.
- Remove coconut cups from freezer. Dip the bottom of one coconut cup into the bowl of melted chocolate. Use the side of the bowl to scrape off excess chocolate. Return to the baking sheet. Repeat for all cups. Transfer to freezer.
- Make the chocolate decoration: Add the Chocolate Decoration ingredients to the bowl of leftover melted chocolate (2 tablespoons chocolate chips + 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil). Heat in microwave in 20 second increments until just softened. Stir until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate into a plastic zip bag with a very small tip cut off, or a small piping bag fitted with a very fine tip. Holding the bag over a cup, pipe the chocolate into two large dots, creating Jack Skellington’s eyes. Make two tiny slashes under the eyes, creating his nose. Pipe an arc across the bottom of the cup, creating his mouth. Add tiny dashes along the mouth, creating the mouth stitches. Repeat for all cups.
- Place baking sheet into the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Thaw for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
– Adapted from my Paleo Almond Joy recipe.
– Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
– If freezing, store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for 10-20 minutes before enjoying.
– More Halloween treat recipes (all vegan, gluten free, dairy free): Paleo Almond Joy, Peanut Butter Cups, PB Cup Brownies, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles.
– More coconut recipes (all V, GF, DF): Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Nice Cream (Paleo), Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, Toasted Coconut Rice Crispy Treats.
- Category: Candy, Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free