Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons Recipe (GF, Paleo): how to make vegan coconut macaroons that taste like Almond Joy! This paleo vegan almond joy coconut macaroons recipe is Gluten Free, Vegan & made with 6 ingredients!
Do you like Almond Joy? Growing up, I would hear my mom talk about it nonstop. We didn’t have a lot of money to spend on non-necessities like candy, so we didn’t often have Almond Joy or any other brand-name candy in the house.
Almond Joy was always my mom’s favorite treat.
I would hear her talk so wistfully about her favorite candy of all-time, see her pick it up at the grocery store when she didn’t think us kids were looking, put it back in favor of fresh veggies or treats for us instead. And it always broke my heart.
Fortunately, things are better now, but my mom still can’t have Almond Joy for one simple reason: her health. To put it simply, it sucks.
So it’s been my goal since the very start of this blog to make, bake, and test my way through all the healthified versions of candy and other classic desserts. That way, my mom, and you, can enjoy them.
No more missing out. No more long bouts of dissatisfaction. No more sacrifices.
One of the first recipes I tackled (when I felt I had the actual skills to do so lol) was this Paleo Almond Joy. And then this Paleo Vegan Almond Joy Ice Cream. A gal’s gotta make her mom happy, ya know?
Paleo Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons Recipe (Gluten-Free)
So guess what I’m sharing today to warm up for Mother’s Day? 🙂 Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons!!! Are you excited? I know my momma is. 😉
Today’s paleo + vegan almond joy coconut macaroon recipe is made with just 6 simple ingredients, and it’s dairy-free, gluten-free and refined sugar-free. These almond joy macaroons are based off my super-popular 4 Ingredient Paleo Coconut Macaroons Recipe, so the interior is moist, flavorful and bursting with coconut YUM, while the exterior is crispy, chewy and toasted-coconut-wonderful. 🙂
Exactly the way my mom likes it!
Are you ready to bake some most-excellent Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons? Let’s do this!
How to Make Paleo Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons!
This paleo vegan almond joy coconut macaroons recipe is almost deceptively easy to make, and requires just 15 minutes of prep or less. Simply add all Paleo Vegan Coconut Macaroons ingredients to a food processor and blend until well mixed.
Scoop and drop coconut macaroon dough balls onto a baking sheet. Press almonds into the tops of the coconut macaroons and bake. Allow to cool, then dip the bottoms of each macaroon into paleo chocolate. Drizzle macaroons with chocolate and allow to set. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks for Amazing Paleo Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons
- Use small coconut flakes, not large coconut flakes. These vegan coconut macaroons will flatten into pancake-like cookies if you use large coconut flakes. If you prefer flatter coconut cookies, try my Ultimate Chewy Paleo Coconut Cookies instead.
- Use a cookie scoop and pack the coconut macaroon dough very tightly into the scoop. If the paleo coconut macaroon dough is loosely packed in the cookie scoop, the cookies will spread and flatten.
- Use solid coconut oil. The wetter/more liquidy the vegan coconut macaroon dough, the more likely the dough will spread.
How to Store this Paleo Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons Recipe
Store your paleo vegan almond joy coconut macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge, for up to 1 month. You can even store them in the freezer! Allow to thaw for about 15 minutes before enjoying.
Substitution Notes for Paleo Vegan Coconut Macaroons with Almonds
- Can I use coconut flour instead of almond flour? I wouldn’t typically recommend this swap, however, I’ve heard from readers who’ve used coconut flour in this recipe with varied success. I recommend reducing it by a few tablespoons. Good luck!
- Can I use gluten free oat flour instead of almond flour? I’m not sure. Try using 3 tablespoons of oat flour—that might work!
- Can I use honey, agave, etc. instead of maple syrup? Yes, but I’m not 100% sure of the results.
- Note: the more changes you make to the recipe, the less likely you’ll get ideal results. Keep that in mind & enjoy!
Here’s to never feeling deprived or feeling like you’re missing out, ever again. 🙂 I truly hope you enjoy my recipe for paleo vegan almond joy coconut macaroons! It’s my pleasure to share in these fantastic kitchen adventures with you. Can’t wait to hear what you think! ‘Til next time…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
☀️Click below to Pin ☀️
Paleo Vegan Coconut Macaroons Recipes & More (Gluten Free, Dairy-Free)
- Lemon Coconut Macaroons Recipe (Paleo, Vegan)
- 5 Ingredient No Bake Chocolate Coconut Bars (Paleo, Vegan)
- No Bake Paleo Chocolate Almond Bars (Gluten Free, Vegan)
- Dairy Free Paleo Almond Joy (Vegan, GF)
- Paleo Vegan Almond Joy Ice Cream – a big reader favorite!
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened small coconut flakes*
- ¼ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons solid coconut oil**
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 10-20 roasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Make the Coconut Macaroons: Add all ingredients to a food processor. Here are the gluten-free small coconut flakes that I use--you must use small coconut flakes in this recipe, about the size of sprinkles. Using large coconut flakes will result in flat, spread-out cookies.
- Blend until you get a thick and sticky mixture that holds together, with smaller, slightly noticeable coconut pieces. If any maple syrup remains at the bottom of the processor, fold into dough until well mixed.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or small cookie scoop, scoop firmly packed balls of coconut mixture—dough must be very tightly packed, or cookies will spread. Drop onto the prepared baking sheet, making sure to space balls evenly apart--they will increase a bit in size. Press one almond into the top of each macaroon.
- Bake for 12-16 mins, until golden around the edges and slightly golden on top. Mine took 15 mins for large ones. Place baking sheet onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 30 mins-1 hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Set aside for later.
- Make the Chocolate Dip: Cool completely before dipping. To melt the chocolate, use the double boiler method or do the following. Add chocolate to a small, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20-second increments until softened and melted. Stir in between heating increments, until smooth.
- Dip the bottom of one cookie into the melted chocolate, scraping off excess. Place cookie onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat for all cookies—there will be some leftover chocolate.
- Optionally, melt 2 tablespoons chocolate and drizzle macaroons. Allow to set at room temperature, or chill in the refrigerator for 10-20 mins, until hardened. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Adapted from my 4 Ingredient Paleo Coconut Macaroons.
Also try my Paleo Almond Joy, super yummy Paleo Almond Joy Vegan Ice Cream and my Lemon Coconut Macaroons Recipe!
- **Solid coconut oil is best for this recipe. Using melted coconut oil will result in smaller macaroons.
- You can easily double the batch to make more cookies!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month at room temperature. If freezing, store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw for 15 minutes before enjoying.
- Nutrition Information: is an estimate based on the best-selling, most common brands per ingredient. Also, it's estimated based on 20 servings per recipe, made without optional drizzle. 🙂
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
Best Tools for Paleo Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons!
Click the links below to see the tools & ingredients used to make this homemade almond joy coconut macaroons recipe.
- Small Coconut Flakes – a great brand of gluten-free coconut. Very finely shredded and perfect for making coconut macaroons!
- Paleo Vegan Chocolate – SUCH an amazing chocolate! Bar none. Hehe. 😉 It’s made with coconut sugar, paleo, dairy-free, vegan, and gluten-free. Woohoo!
- Vegan Chocolate Chips – an allergy-friendly chocolate chip that’s vegan!
- Cookie Scoop – an absolute baker’s essential. Great for uniform scooping and greater control over ball size and shape.
- Almond Flour – my go-to blanched almond flour for vegan paleo baking. Super finely ground, great quality and taste.
- Coconut Oil – a great paleo vegan baking essential!