The BEST Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are crispy on the outside, perfectly chewy on the inside, and packed with cozy oatmeal & rich chocolate chip flavor. GF.
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- 1 ½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional, but recommended)
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water, whisked together, set for 15 minutes) or regular egg if not vegan
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2–3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients. Whisk until well-mixed.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Whisk as long as you can. Switch to stirring and folding with a rubber spatula until no flour patches remain. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl and chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes, until firm throughout. If necessary, allow to thaw at room temperature just until it’s soft enough to scoop, but still very firm and chilled.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop and drop cookie dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheet, evenly spaced apart. Cookies will spread a bit. Optionally, press chocolate chips into cookies—this will help decrease sticking when flattening the cookies. Using a spoon, flatten the cookies about half way for thick cookies. Flatten considerably for just slightly thick cookies. The dough will be a bit sticky.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes. Mine took 14 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes (on a cooling rack). Using a heatproof spatula, lift cookies off the sheet and transfer directly onto a cooling rack to cool completely before storing. Storing instructions below. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Softer Cookies: Gluten Free Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF)
- Oatmeal Raisin: Easy Gluten Free Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Non-Oatmeal: Gluten Free Vegan Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF)
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks.
Freezing Instructions: Store in a freezer-friendly container or bag. Keep for up to 1-3 months. Thaw at room temperature for about 10-20 minutes before enjoying. Or, warm in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds.
Nutrition Information is an estimate based on the best-selling, most common brands per ingredient. Also, it’s estimated based on 27 servings per recipe, without the optional 2-3 tablespoon chocolate chip topping.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 32mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: best gluten free chocolate chip cookies