Deliciously crispy breakfast potatoes with crisp, golden edges, soft and creamy centers, and seasoned to perfection for the best breakfast side dish!
- Nonstick skillet
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- 2 medium potatoes (about 1 ½ lbs.)
- 2 ½ to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, more below
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Fresh chives
- Ketchup or barbecue sauce
- Or sour cream!
Cook the Potatoes
- To Boil: Add cleaned potatoes to a pot of boiling water. Cook until potatoes are cooked all the way through—the potatoes are done when you can easily stick a fork into the center of one. Pat dry completely.
- To Microwave: OR, wrap cleaned potatoes in plastic and heat in the microwave for 5-8 minutes on high. Test for doneness by sticking a fork into the center, it should puncture the potato very easily.
Prep the Potatoes
- Place cooked potatoes on a large cutting board. Slice into 1/2” cubes. If the potatoes are too hot to handle, allow to cool for a few minutes, and/or use a fork to hold the potatoes in place when you slice.
Prepare the seasoning mix
- In a small bowl, add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Set aside for later.
Make the Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
- Bring a large nonstick skillet to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Once warmed up (olive oil will move easily and quickly around the skillet, not slowly), add potatoes. Create an even, single layer.
- Let potatoes crisp up for about 3-5 minutes. To check, peek under one cube in the center of the skillet—if it starts to show golden patches, you’re ready for the next step.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil evenly over the non-roasted side of the potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Using a heatproof spatula, flip potatoes so the unroasted side can crisp.
- Crisp for 2-5 minutes. Mine took 3 minutes. Again, check for crispiness by peeking under the side of one cube in the center of the skillet—if it’s got golden patches, it’s ready to flip.
- Get the seasoning mixture and sprinkle over the potatoes. Drizzle with remaining ½ to 1 tablespoon oil, as needed. Stir and flip potatoes frequently to evenly coat each piece. Crisp on pan for 1-2 more minutes, until golden brown all over. Cook 1-3 minutes more for super crispy potatoes!
- Now, add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with rosemary. Serve & enjoy.
Storing Instructions: Cool completely, then store potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
How to make Vegan: Keep recipe as is.
How to make Gluten Free: Keep recipe as is.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American