Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons Recipe (GF, Paleo): how to make vegan coconut macaroons that taste like homemade Almond Joy! This paleo vegan coconut macaroons recipe is gluten free, vegan, dairy-free & made with 6 ingredients.
Paleo Vegan Coconut Macaroons
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened small coconut flakes*
- ¼ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons solid coconut oil**
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 10–20 roasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Make the Coconut Macaroons: Add all ingredients to a food processor. Here are the gluten-free small coconut flakes that I use–you must use small coconut flakes in this recipe, about the size of sprinkles. Using large coconut flakes will result in flat, spread-out cookies.
- Blend until you get a thick and sticky mixture that holds together, with smaller, slightly noticeable coconut pieces. If any maple syrup remains at the bottom of the processor, fold into dough until well mixed.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or small cookie scoop, scoop firmly packed balls of coconut mixture—dough must be very tightly packed, or cookies will spread. Drop onto the prepared baking sheet, making sure to space balls evenly apart–they will increase a bit in size. Press one almond into the top of each macaroon.
- Bake for 12-16 mins, until golden around the edges and slightly golden on top. Mine took 15 mins for large ones. Place baking sheet onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 30 mins-1 hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Set aside for later.
- Make the Chocolate Dip: Cool completely before dipping. To melt the chocolate, use the double boiler method or do the following. Add chocolate to a small, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20-second increments until softened and melted. Stir in between heating increments, until smooth.
- Dip the bottom of one cookie into the melted chocolate, scraping off excess. Place cookie onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat for all cookies—there will be some leftover chocolate.
- Optionally, melt 2 tablespoons chocolate and drizzle macaroons. Allow to set at room temperature, or chill in the refrigerator for 10-20 mins, until hardened. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Adapted from my 4 Ingredient Paleo Coconut Macaroons.
– *You must use small coconut flakes for this recipe. The coconut flakes should be the size of sprinkles, or about half a grain of rice. Large coconut flakes will result in flat, spread-out cookies (not like the round macaroons you see in the pictures). Here are the gluten-free small coconut flakes that I use (pictures included).
– **Solid coconut oil is best for this recipe. Using melted coconut oil will result in smaller macaroons.
– You can easily double the batch to make more cookies!
– Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month at room temperature. If freezing, store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw for 15 minutes before enjoying.
– Nutrition Information: is an estimate based on the best-selling, most common brands per ingredient. Also, it’s estimated based on 20 servings per recipe, made without optional drizzle. 🙂
- Category: Healthy Dessert, Cookies, Paleo, Vegan, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
- Serving Size: 1 medium macaroon
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 0mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg