The BEST vegan brownies you’ve ever had: divinely rich, fudgy, moist brownies bursting with chocolate flavor.
- ¼ cup natural, unsalted almond butter
- ½ cup organic dark brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (vanilla is okay)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water whisked together, set for 15 mins)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Whisk until it resembles caramel.
- Add cocoa powder in ¼ cup increments, whisking until shiny and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in almond extract and salt. Stir just a few times to gently incorporate.
- Add flax eggs in, whisking until well incorporated. In thirds, whisk in the flour. As the batter gets harder to whisk, switch to folding with a rubber spatula. Fold until well incorporated and no flour patches remain.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 mins. Cool for 1 hour, or until completely cool. Slice into 16 brownies. Enjoy!
– Recipe updated on October 2, 2016.
– Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
– These freeze well. Before freezing, cool completely. Wrap in parchment paper. Then, store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes, or heat in 20 second increments in the microwave until warm.
– Try the Gluten Free version: Gluten Free Vegan Brownies. If you’re looking for a super fudgy, paleo option, try my Ultimate Fudgy Paleo Vegan Brownies.
- Category: dessert, brownies, vegan