Rich, chewy & indulgent Double Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies – a simple, vegan recipe for twice the chocolate plus coconut oil, coconut sugar and coconut shreds!
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips (for melting, more later)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs (whisk together 2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons warm water, let set for 15 mins)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or greased foil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: coconut, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the chocolate: In a small saucepan over low heat, add ¼ cup chocolate chips and coconut oil. Stir chocolate chips until just slightly softened and coconut oil is melted. Quickly remove from heat and stir until completely melted and smooth. Set aside.
Alternative chocolate-melting method (microwave): If you’d like to use a microwave, add ¼ cup chocolate chips and coconut oil into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until the coconut oil and chocolate chips are melted. Watch it closely to ensure that it doesn’t burn. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- Make the cookie dough: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted chocolate mixture, flax eggs, sugar and extract. In thirds, whisk in dry ingredients. When the dough is harder to mix, use a rubber spatula to fold until well-incorporated. Fold in ¾ cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of cookie dough into your hand and roll into a ball. Make sure the ball is smooth and round, like a sphere–this will ensure that the cookies bake up nice and round.
- Place these balls evenly spaced apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten slightly.
- Bake the cookies: Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookies are done when they’re slightly soft in the center, but have a firm bottom.
- Using a flat spatula, carefully lift cookies off the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool. Enjoy!
– Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
– You can easily double the recipe to make more cookies.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: cookies, vegan