Healthy Apple Crisp: this healthy easy apple crisp recipe yields delicious crisp topping and warm apple filling for a guilt-free dessert made with healthy ingredients!
Healthy Apple Crisp Filling
- 4 cups apple slices, peeled and thinly sliced* (about 3 medium apples)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1–3 tablespoons water (optional)
Healthy Crisp Topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with coconut oil. This is the pan I used. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all Apple Crisp Filling ingredients: apples, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until apples are fully coated and sugar mostly has dissolved. If your mixture isn’t very wet, add in water—you’ll want to see 1-2 tablespoons liquid at the bottom of your mixing bowl. I used 2 ½ tablespoons water in mine.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared baking pan. Use the spatula to smooth apples into an even layer.
- Add all Healthy Crisp Topping ingredients to a small bowl. Using a fork, stir and fold until well mixed. Pour topping evenly over apples. Once evenly spread, press down and pack the topping down firmly onto the apples—this will create a crispy, cohesive layer of topping.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes. Mine took 45 minutes. It’s done when the topping is a deep golden brown and the juice around the filling has thickened. To test, use a spoon to carefully lift up a corner of the crisp to see the juices. If it’s still watery, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 mins. Serve warm with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream on top. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
More Easy Healthy Apple Crisp + Fall Recipes
*I like to use a mix of apples: Braeburn, Fuji, and Granny Smith.
Storage Notes: Cover with foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat before serving. Best if served immediately.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert, Snack, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy apple crisp