A simple and easy paleo apple crisp recipe that yields gooey cinnamon apple filling with a delicious crisp topping! The best paleo apple crisp made with whole ingredients.
Who’s ready for ALL the fall-inspired desserts? Today, I’m sharing a reader-loved Beaming Baker recipe for Paleo Apple Crisp… with updated photos, slightly revamped recipe and more!
Are you ready for it? Let’s do this!
Let’s welcome fall with open arms, open mouths (what a visual), and open forks (how one does that, we might never know). Just… get ready to spear that fork right into a nice, warm, gooey, crispy-topped Paleo Apple Crisp made with coconut and pecans!
Paleo Apple Crisp with Pecans & Coconut!
This paleo apple crisp recipe started pretty innocently as a regular ol’ gluten free apple crisp. There were oats involved, hopes for a beautiful crumble top that even Betty Crocker would give me the stinkeye for in a local bake-off.
As if she would stoop to my level.
Anywho, oats were involved and things looked promising. But (isn’t there always a big old butt??), that
ol’ jerk wonderfully versatile ingredient named coconut oil reared its difficult head. Dagnabit.
Truth is, coconut oil just doesn’t work like butter. There. I said it. In the case of making a deliciously crispy apple crumble topping, it was not to be. At least not with the ingredients I knew were traditionally expected.
So after Erik and I peeled apples til our eyes were crossed joyfully reveled in the delight that is peeling and coring 20 apples for those sanity questioning incredibly educational apple crisp trials, I decided to change directions.
>>related: Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe
The Making of This Paleo Apple Crisp
Sometimes, you just have to scrap everything you know and start fresh.
Once Erik begrudgingly bemoaned playfully and happily agreed to help peel more apples with me, we began again. One thing I learned from the previous apple crisp trials was how little added sugar I could use to still create a gooey and perfectly sweet apple filling.
Now that I had the grain free apple crisp filling nailed down, all I needed to figure out was the topping. I went around the internet, searching for the most negative feedback on traditional apple crisp recipes.
One thing I learned: people really don’t like a non-crispy topping.
As such, one of my top goals was: Make a Crispy Topping.
After some soul searching, a few semi-snide passive aggressive comments lovingly traded between me and Erik, then a few be-cool-guys-don’t-let-the-apples-get-to-you BB team talks, I had an epiphany.
Paleo Apple Crisp that’s actually crisp!
Let’s make this apple crisp PALEO.
YES!!! Throw away the flour, throw away the grains, and start fresh. But, don’t throw stuff away because it’s expensive and that’s wasteful. Just… throw it away figuratively.
I used elements from my super crispy, grain free paleo granola to create the lovely paleo apple crumble-worthy topping for this delicious paleo apple crisp!
Which has now become one of my top paleo recipes!
A simple & easy paleo apple crisp recipe for super crisp topping and gooey cinnamon apple filling.
TL;DR: Grain Free Paleo Apple Crisp
Let me tell you about this out-of-this-world grain free paleo apple crisp. It’s:
- so deliciously crispy on top, you can legit tap it with a spoon and hear it!
- filled with warm, cozy grain free apple filling
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, PALEO
- bursting with nutty goodness
- refined sugar-free & flourless
- made with the simple, healthy ingredients you love
- tested like crazy so you don’t have to
Best Tools for Yummy Paleo Apple Crisp!
- Blanched Almond Flour – one of my favorite ingredients for paleo baking. Super fine blanched almond flour: the perfect way to make this grain free apple crisp!
- Coconut Oil – a paleo vegan + gluten free baking staple in my pantry.
- Large Coconut Flakes – one of the key ingredients in my paleo apple crisp. They crisp up like woah!
I can’t wait to hear what you think of my grain free paleo apple crisp! Let me know in the comments below if you try it. 🙂 As always, I’m so grateful to be here with you, sharing in these tasty kitchen adventures! ‘Til the next one…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
Click below to Pin
Paleo Refined Sugar Free Desserts
- Easy Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe (V, GF)
- Dark Chocolate Paleo Snack Bars
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Paleo
- Ultimate Chewy Paleo Coconut Cookies (Vegan, GF)
- Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp (Paleo option)
A simple and easy paleo apple crisp recipe that yields gooey cinnamon apple filling with a delicious crisp topping! The best paleo apple crisp made with whole ingredients. Grain-Free.
Paleo Apple Crisp Filling
- 3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced* (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons water (optional)
Pecan Coconut Crisp Topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all Filling ingredients: apples, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until apples are fully coated and sugar has dissolved. If your mixture isn’t very wet, add in water—you’ll want to see 1-2 tablespoons liquid at the bottom of your mixing bowl. I used 1 ½ tablespoons water in mine.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared baking pan. Use the spatula to smooth apples into an even layer.
- Add all Topping ingredients to a medium bowl. Using a fork, stir and fold until crumbles form. Gently spoon evenly over apples, making sure to keep crumbles intact.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes. Mine took 45 minutes. It’s done when the topping is a deep golden brown and the juice around the filling has thickened. To test, use a spoon to carefully lift up a corner of the crisp to see the juices. If it’s still watery, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 mins. Serve warm with a scoop with dairy-free ice cream on top. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
More Gluten Vegan Fall Recipes
*I like to use a mix of apples: Braeburn, Fuji, Gala, and Granny Smith.
Best served right away–the topping will be extra crispy! If needed, here are… Refrigerator storing notes: Cover with foil, or transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat before serving.
Room temperature storing notes: Cover with foil and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. The topping is more likely to stay crispy if stored at room temperature.
To freeze: place in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 2 weeks. Heat in 30-second increments until the filling is warm.
- Category: Dessert, Fall
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo apple crisp, paleo crumble, grain free apple crisp, paleo apple crumble
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.