Homemade Cashew Butter: learn how to make cashew butter with just 1 ingredient and a few minutes!
Ever wonder how to make cashew butter? Well, it’s super easy, ready in minutes, and tastes so much better than store-bought cashew butter. Plus, you totally get Homemade Cashew Butter bragging rights. <– Totally a thing.
Today, I’mma keep things short and sweet so we can get straight to the homemade cashew butter tutorial—I mean, there are step-by-step photos and everything. 😉 Let’s do it.
The 1 ingredient you need
Yep, cashew butter is made with just 1 ingredient: cashews! You don’t need any oils, sugars or salt. We’re gonna strip it down and make homemade cashew butter with just 1 simple ingredient today. Some people like to add ingredients such as coconut oil or sugar to smooth out and sweeten their homemade cashew butter. But, like I said, I like it simple and delicious the way it is.
How to Customize my Homemade Cashew Butter?
Once you’ve mastered how to make cashew butter, feel free to get feisty and add in fun ingredients like spices, sugar and so forth. Just make sure you add small amounts and test in small batches, as I know ingredients such as sweeteners can harden your simple & smooth homemade cashew butter.
What is Cashew Butter?
Cashew butter is a nut butter that’s made with cashews. Specifically, this means cashews are ground up in a food processor or blender until smooth, creamy, and spreadable. Because these ground cashews are spreadable, they’ve now turned into something else: cashew butter! Aka, a cashew butter spread.
How Do I use Cashew Butter?
Just like any nut butter spread, cashew butter can be–you guessed it–spread onto toast! You can also get wild and use cashew butter in treats like this 3 Ingredient Cashew Ice Cream and yummy treats like cashew butter cookies. My personal favorite? Eating cashew butter by the spoonful! 😉
Homemade Cashew Butter—the Taste
There is nothing quite like making your very own homemade cashew butter. It’s oddly satisfying and so deeply rewarding. But the taste? Oh, the taste! Homemade cashew butter is extra nutty, deliciously creamy and super fresh. Love it.
How to Make Cashew Butter – a step-by-step photo tutorial
Learn how to make homemade cashew butter in just a few easy steps! I’ve included extra photos & closeup shots of the process for making cashew butter easier.
Homemade Cashew Butter: Step One
Add whole cashews to the food processor
Step One: add whole cashews to the food processor. Add whole, roasted cashews to a sturdy food processor. This is the food processor that I use to blend everything—including homemade cashew butter! Make sure you like the taste of your cashews before making homemade cashew butter–test by popping a few in your mouth before blending!
The funny thing is, I’ve found that different brands of cashews taste… well, different! Some companies roast their cashews quite a bit, others barely do it… and the resulting taste largely affects your final homemade cashew butter.
Homemade Cashew Butter: Step Two
Blend Cashews Until Crumbly
Step Two: Blend Cashews Until Crumbly. Blend cashews in the food processor until you get a coarse, dry and crumbly bits of cashews with a little bit ‘o cashew “meal” in it, as it were.
Homemade Cashew Butter: Step Three
Moist Cashew Meal; Cashew Oil Releases
Step Three: Moist Cashew Meal; Cashew Oil Releases. As you continue to blend, your cashews will become a moist cashew meal, as cashew oil is being released through the blending process. You are getting so close to making homemade cashew butter! 🙂
Tip: Remember to periodically scrape down the sides of your food processor. Making homemade cashew butter can be a bit taxing on your food processor, so make sure to take breaks. In the photo above, oils are releasing from the cashews, turning the previously dry cashew meal moist. We’re getting closer to making homemade cashew butter.
Homemade Cashew Butter: Step Four
Step Four: Cashew “Dough”. Much of the cashew oil has released from your cashews, causing a cashew “dough ball” to form. You’re so close to making homemade cashew butter!
Homemade Cashew Butter: Step Five
Super Thick, Almost-Cashew Butter
Step Five: Super Thick, Almost-Cashew Butter. Here, the cashew dough has turned into a very, very thick kind of cashew butter. But it’s still not ready. Keep going! We still have to blend until we reach a smooth, liquidy cashew butter consistency that you’ll see in the next photo (Step 6).
Homemade Cashew Butter: Step Six
Homemade Cashew Butter is Ready!
Step Six: Homemade Cashew Butter is ready! Et voilà! You just learned how to make homemade cashew butter. Woot woot! Your homemade cashew butter should be liquidy, mostly smooth, and simply delicious.
How to Store Homemade Cashew Butter
This homemade cashew butter recipe can be easily stored for up to 6 months. To store at room temperature: keep your homemade cashew butter out of direct sunlight & away from heat sources in an airtight container for 2-3 months. To store in the refrigerator: use the same container for your cashew butter—but this time, you can keep the cashew butter for 3-6 months. Woohoo!
Great Tools for the Best Cashew Butter
- Food Processor – My favorite food processor, hands down. It’s so easy to use, super affordable and sturdy as heck. I’ve used my food processors (I’ve got two) hundreds of times and they’re still going strong!
- Unsalted, Roasted Cashews – Make sure to use roasted cashews when making homemade cashew butter. You can use raw cashews if making raw homemade cashew butter, but roasted is highly preferred. I love buying these roasted cashews in bulk so I can make cashew butter and just straight up snack on cashews whenever.
Thank you for stopping by Beaming Baker today. It’s my life’s joy and passion to share in these kitchen adventures with you. What would I do without you? ‘Til the next one…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
☀ Click below to Pin ☀
Recipes for your Homemade Cashew Butter
- 3 Ingredient Cashew Ice Cream
- 4 Ingredient Paleo Vegan Cashew Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Homemade Cashew Butter Cookies
- Low Carb Chocolate Cashew Keto Fudge Cups
- just for fun (whole cashews!): 4 Ingredient Toasted Coconut Cashews Recipe
- Flourless Cashew Butter Cookies
- 2 Ingredient Keto Cashew Fudge
Homemade Cashew Butter: learn how to make cashew butter with just 1 ingredient and a few minutes! See the step-by-step tutorial with clear, detailed pics in the post. 🙂
- 2 cups unsalted, roasted cashews
- See photo tutorial in post for helpful visuals, tips & details.
- Add cashews to a food processor or blender. Blend until coarse.
- Scrape down the sides of the processor as needed.
- Blend until mostly smooth, making sure to scrape the bottom of the processor or blender. Blend longer if smoother cashew butter is desired; however, some graininess is normal. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Recipes for your Homemade Cashew Butter
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container, in a cool, dark environment, at room temperature for 2-3 months. Or, store in the refrigerator for 3-6 months.
Recommended Tools for the Best Homemade Cashew Butter
- Food Processor: I’ve been using this brand of food processor for years, and I absolutely love it–great for making homemade ice cream, paleo coconut macaroons and more!
- Mason Jars: Great for storing your homemade cashew butter in style.
- Silicone Spatulas: These spatulas are great for scraping down the sides of the food processor and getting every last bit of cashew.
- Walnut Wood Cutting Board: See the gorgeous wooden board in my photos? That’s this amazing walnut wood cutting board. It’s double-sided with one side featuring a groove for crackers! 😉
- Prep Time: 5-7 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Category: Snack
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make homemade cashew butter
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Beaming Baker.