Vegan Ice Cream Bars (V+GF): an 8 ingredient recipe for the BEST decadent chocolate-dipped vegan ice cream bars made with whole ingredients. Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free.
Vanilla Ice Cream Bars
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (13.66 oz.)
- 1 can lite coconut milk (13.66 oz.)
- 2–3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Chocolate Shell Coating
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- The night before, or for 3-4 hours, soak the cashews. Also, refrigerate the can of full-fat coconut milk.
- Make the ice cream bars: Drain and rinse the cashews. Add cashews and half the can of lite coconut milk into a blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. Add in the remaining half can of lite coconut milk.
- Remove the can of full-fat coconut milk from the fridge and flip it upside down. Open and pour out the translucent coconut juice, making sure to keep the thick, white coconut fat in the can. Save the coconut juice for another recipe or a smoothie.
- Scoop the coconut fat into the blender. Add maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Pour this ice cream mixture into your popsicle mold, leaving about ¼” of space at the top of the mold to allow the popsicles to expand in the freezer. Insert popsicle sticks into slots, or follow instructions for your mold.
- Freeze for 6-8 hours.
- Remove from freezer. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Clear some space out in the freezer for this sheet.
- If needed, allow popsicles to thaw for a few minutes. Optionally, run popsicle mold under a bit of lukewarm water to loosen the bars. Place the popsicle mold on a flat surface and wiggle the ice cream bars out.
- Lay the ice cream bars evenly spaced apart on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour, or until completely frozen. This allows the bars to harden for smooth dipping.
- Make the chocolate coating: About 10 minutes before the bars are done freezing, prepare the chocolate coating. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup and cocoa powder. Whisk until thickened and smooth, like melted chocolate.
- Dip the ice cream bars: Prepare your work area. Lay a large sheet of wax paper or parchment on a flat surface. Remove the bars from the freezer. Pour about 1/4 cup of chocolate coating directly onto the prepared work surface. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the chocolate into a rectangular shape that’s larger than one ice cream bar.
- Lay the bar right on top of the chocolate rectangle you’ve created. Press down, then pull back and up, coating from the bottom of the bar to the top. You will have coated one side and the top of the bar. Tilt the bar to the side, coating an edge in chocolate. Repeat for the other edge. Flip the bar over, pressing the uncoated side in chocolate. Pull back and up, finishing off the coating. Use a spoon to seal up any areas that aren’t coated. Return the chocolate-coated bar back onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Pour more chocolate mixture onto the work area, using the rubber spatula as needed to scrape it into a rectangular shape. Repeat coating.
- Enjoy!* Storing notes below.
Also try these tasty frozen desserts!
- Here is the popsicle mold I used.
- *If the ice cream bars have gotten melty, freeze for another 30 minutes to firm up before serving.
- Wrap bars in wax paper or parchment. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 1-2 weeks.
- More recipes for your popsicle mold (all V+GF): Blueberry Coconut Popsicles, Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Popsicles, Strawberry Chia Seed Popsicles. Nice cream recipes (all V+GF): dark chocolate nice cream, toasted coconut chocolate chip nice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freeze
- Cuisine: American