Vegan Soft Baked Lemon Donuts with Lemon Glaze (GF): this vegan gluten free donuts recipe yields soft and fluffy donuts with easy homemade lemon glaze! Healthy Doughnuts, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free.
VEGAN SOFT BAKED LEMON DONUTS
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground, not coarse*
- ½ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
LEMON GLAZE + GARNISH
- ¼ cup organic, unrefined confectioners’ sugar** (sugar-free substitute in notes)
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice (start with less, make sure it’s white and thick, not too translucent)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 6-donut pans with nonstick spray or coconut oil. If using a non-stick donut pan with the non-stick coating intact (fairly new), do not spray. Set aside.
- Make the Lemon Donuts: In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Pour or spoon batter evenly into prepared donut pans. Tap the pans several times to even out the batter and release bubbles that have formed. Bake for 10-14 minutes. Mine took 12 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick—it should come out clean when done.
- Place pans on a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes (or longer cool time to allow it to come out cleanly). Tap the pan several times on a flat surface to loosen donuts—you’ll see a donut or two jump up when they’re loose. Flip pan upside down onto the cooling rack to remove donuts. Allow to cool until completely cool.
- Make the Lemon Glaze: In a small bowl, use a fork to stir together Lemon Glaze ingredients until thickened: confectioners’ sugar* and lemon juice. Glaze donuts. Optionally, top with lemon zest. Return to cooling rack to allow glaze to firm up. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Adapted from my Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe.
More Lemon Vegan Gluten Free Recipes
- Storage notes: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, or in a cool, dark environment. Glaze when ready to eat, or day of.
- To Freeze: store in an airtight container or bag, unglazed, in the freezer for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave in 10 second increments until just warm.
- *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create grainy donuts.
- **Powdered sugar substitutes: Swerve is a good sugar-free, low carb substitute. You can also grind the sweetener of your choice, such as Xylitol, in a coffee grinder or small blender until you get a powder. Since Swerve is a bit drier, use about 2 ½ teaspoons lemon juice to make the glaze.
- **You can also add more powdered sugar if you’d like a thicker glaze.
- Category: Breakfast, Vegan Donuts, Healthy Doughnuts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan donut recipe, baked lemon donuts, vegan gluten free donuts, soft and fluffy donut recipe, easy homemade lemon glaze