Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies: the best healthy chocolate oatmeal cookies—chewy & delicious, packed with chocolate chips & made with healthy ingredients.
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsalted, natural creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons golden ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons warm water, whisked together, set for 15 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: coconut oil, almond butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, flax eggs and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, using a rubber spatula, stir together all of the dry ingredients until well-mixed: oats, oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture. Using the spatula, fold and stir until well mixed. Fold in chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop and drop cookie dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheet, spread evenly apart. Optionally, press chocolate into the tops of cookies. Using a fork, flatten to desired thickness—they will spread just a bit. Cookie dough will be sticky.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes. Mine took 14 minutes. Place cookie sheet onto a cooling rack—allow cookies to cool on sheet for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer cookies directly onto a cooling rack to cool completely before storing. Storing instructions below. Enjoy!
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks at room temperature. Keep out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.
Freezing Instructions: Store in a freezer-friendly container. Keep for up to 1-3 months. Thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes before enjoying.
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy chocolate oatmeal cookies, healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies