Fresh, hearty, and herbaceous: this pesto pasta is indulgent with healthy ingredients, from beautiful basil to tangy parmesan and nutty pine nuts for a most delicious dish!
- Food processor
- Large pot with strainer
- Oil pour bottle
- Heatproof spatulas
- Salt and pepper grinders
- Pasta bowls
- 1 recipe vegan pesto or 5–7 oz jarred pesto, to taste
- A big pinch of salt
- ½ lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup parmesan of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare vegan pesto. Transfer to a small, airtight container. Cover with a thin layer of olive oil. Refrigerate until needed.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add in a big pinch of salt. Add in pasta. Cook until nearly tender, but still firm (al dente).
- Reserve ¼ cup pasta water.
- Drain pasta and keep in pot, removing from heat. Place on a heatproof surface.
- Drizzle olive oil over pasta. Toss to coat—this will prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Add pasta water to pot. Toss again to coat.
- Pour pesto over cooked pasta. Toss until well coated.
- Transfer into serving plates. Garnish with basil leaves and pine nuts.
- Top with parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Storing Instructions: Enjoy immediately. If needed, cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
How to make Vegan: Make vegan pesto and use vegan parmesan for topping.
How to make Gluten Free: Use gluten free penne pasta and GF-certified parmesan.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian