Healthy Banana Bread Recipe: unbelievably delicious banana bread that just so happens to be healthy! Moist ‘n rich with cozy banana flavor and incredible texture—you won’t be able to resist.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons mashed, very ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using this pastry cutter or a sturdy whisk, mash bananas until smooth. Add remaining wet ingredients: coconut oil, coconut sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add all dry ingredients to the same bowl: oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together as long as you can. If needed, switch to stirring and folding with a rubber spatula until well incorporated and no flour patches remain. Fold in walnuts, if using. Do not add additional liquids—batter will be thick.
- Transfer batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer, with the shape of a rise down the center—just like a loaf. Using a butter knife, cut a slit down slightly off center of the loaf—this will create a beautiful split on top. Optionally, sprinkle with walnuts and lightly press into batter.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes. Mine took 50 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of the loaf. The toothpick will come out clean-ish, with just a few bits of moisture on it when the loaf is done.
- Allow to cool in pan, placed on a cooling rack for 1 hour. Lift out of pan, transferring loaf along with parchment paper directly onto the cooling rack. Allow to finish cooling for about 1.5 hours. Slice loaf into 10-12 slices. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
More Healthy Banana Recipes
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. As with all homemade healthy baked goods, your banana bread is best the first 2 days. 😉
Freezing Instructions: This banana bread freezes well. Store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before enjoying. Or, heat in 10-second increments in the microwave until warm.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy banana bread recipe