Paleo Apple Crisp: this grain free apple crisp recipe yields a SUPER CRISPY topping over warm, gooey apple filling. The best gluten free paleo apple crumble: fall dessert YUM! Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Healthy.
Paleo Apple Crisp Filling
- 3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced* (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons water (optional)
Pecan Coconut Crisp Topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all Filling ingredients: apples, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until apples are fully coated and sugar has dissolved. If your mixture isn’t very wet, add in water—you’ll want to see 1-2 tablespoons liquid at the bottom of your mixing bowl. I used 1 ½ tablespoons water in mine.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared baking pan. Use the spatula to smooth apples into an even layer.
- Add all Topping ingredients to a medium bowl. Using a fork, stir and fold until crumbles form. Gently spoon evenly over apples, making sure to keep crumbles intact.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes. Mine took 45 minutes. It’s done when the topping is a deep golden brown and the juice around the filling has thickened. To test, use a spoon to carefully lift up a corner of the crisp to see the juices. If it’s still watery, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 mins. Serve warm with a scoop with dairy-free ice cream on top. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
More Gluten Vegan Fall Recipes
- *I like to use a mix of apples: Braeburn, Fuji, Gala, and Granny Smith.
- Best served right away–the topping will be extra crispy! If needed, here are… Refrigerator storing notes: Cover with foil, or transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat before serving.
- Room temperature storing notes: Cover with foil and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. The topping is more likely to stay crispy if stored at room temperature.
- To freeze: place in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 2 weeks. Heat in 30-second increments until the filling is warm.
- Where to Buy Ingredients: Pecans | Blanched Almond Flour | Coconut Sugar | Raw Coconut Chips
- Special Tools: 4 Event Timer | Apple Corer & Slicer | Fruit Peeler | 4oz Prep Bowls
- Category: Dessert, Fall
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo apple crisp, paleo crumble, grain free apple crisp, paleo apple crumble