the BEST healthy banana muffins—secretly healthy, soft ‘n dense banana bread-style muffins with lightly sweet, comforting banana flavor. Made with healthy, whole ingredients.
Happy Healthy Banana Muffins Day!! Wait a minute, that’s not right. Happy Saturday! Or… erm, should it be Happy Healthy Banana Muffins Saturday! There, that’s the one.
Today I’m super hyped because I’m sharing the BEST healthy banana muffins recipe you’ll ever meet. Yep, meet then eat. Ehhh… moving on.
I have a super special soft spot in my heart for banana muffins because they always come through—when you’re feeling down, when you’re craving the comfort of home, or just when you’re over all of the endless frigid days of winter and need something sweet to warm you up.
Today’s secretly healthy banana muffins will satisfy you like no other, with soft ‘n dense banana muffin goodness and lightly sweet, comforting banana flavor. You ready to bake this? Let’s do it!
How to Make Healthy Banana Muffins
First things first, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with parchment muffin liners. I also like using these unbleached muffin liners.
Mash Bananas & Whisk the Wet
Peel bananas and add them to a large mixing bowl. Grab a pastry cutter and mash the bananas until they are as smooth as you can get ‘em. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and whisk until well incorporated: coconut oil, coconut sugar, flax egg and vanilla.
Whisk Dry Ingredients
Add all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl: oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Start by whisking the wet and dry together, then switching to a rubber spatula to fold it together until no flour patches remain. Fold in nuts. Voila, your healthy muffin batter is done!
For the next step, I highly recommend using this large muffin batter scoop (shh… it’s actually an ice cream scoop, but I won’t tell if you don’t.) 😉 The scoop will be helpful in shaping your healthy banana muffin batter so that it bakes up beautifully. Scoop and drop banana muffin batter into the prepared muffin pan.
Bake, Cool and Enjoy
Bake for about 20 minutes, then cool and enjoy the best healthy banana muffins ever!
Healthy Ingredients for the Best Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
Bananas are called nature’s candy for a reason—they’re naturally sweet and so friggin yummy to eat! Baked into these healthy banana muffins, they’re even more like the healthy baked good you’ve been craving. Bananas are packed with nutrients, fiber-rich and protein-rich. With 450 milligrams of potassium per banana, you’ll get 13% of your recommended daily intake. It’s another reason why I love making my Irresistible Healthy Banana Bread Recipe.
Oat flour is a long-time healthy flour swap for us here at Beaming Baker. I love that it’s not bleached or processed like traditional all purpose flour, and that it’s heart-healthy and fiber-rich.
According to this Harvard article, “Beta-glucan fiber may help to prevent sharp rises in blood sugar and insulin levels after eating a meal, and may benefit gut health…” Oats are rich in fiber, phosphorus, thiamine, magnesium and zinc. And we really just made/are about to make healthy banana muffins with this? Heck yeah!
To give these healthy banana muffins an extra nutritional punch, I snuck some nutrient-rich almond meal in! Almond meal (unblanched), or almond flour (blanched), is heart-healthy because it’s rich in monounsaturated fat, which can help to reduce cholesterol. As an added bonus, it also has a low glycemic index, which can help with diabetes management.
Coconut oil has become a go-to vegan baking staple for tons of people around the world (and was a staple for some ages and ages ago). Here at BB, we use coconut oil (in moderation) in most of our healthy recipes because of its benefits: coconut oil contains healthy fatty acids, which can “encourage your body to burn fat” and “provide quick energy to your body and brain”. Coconut oil can boost heart health and reduce hunger as well.
Flaxseed has a health benefits list longer than my baking to-do list this year (and that’s a looooooong list). I like incorporating flaxseeds into my diet, even in small amounts like today’s healthy banana bread, because it helps to keep flaxseeds familiar and on hand in my pantry. The more I use it for baking, the more I use it in regular life.
If you’ve been around Beaming Baker long enough, you know that I absolutely love incorporating nuts into my recipes. They’re naturally satisfying, packed with healthy fats and a nutrient-rich ingredient to incorporate into any healthy diet. For today’s healthy banana muffin recipe, I chose to use unsweetened pecans for a change of pace from the also-good walnuts. Pecans are full of healthy fat, protein, fiber, and wonderful nutrients like calcium, magnesium and potassium.
Why are these the best healthy banana muffins?
Take a gander at the section above “Healthy Ingredients for the Best Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe” and you’ll see that each and every ingredient was handpicked to develop a wonderfully (and secretly) healthy banana muffin. Each ingredient is whole, refined sugar-free and adds to the nutrient-rich, satisfying healthy banana muffin recipe that keeps you full for longer.
These healthy banana muffins are deliciously moist and dense, with just the right amount of delicious texture that’s amazingly satisfying. Think of classic, comforting banana bread in healthy banana muffin form and that’s the recipe you’re looking at right now. You’ll also love my Best Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe.
My favorite thing about this healthy banana muffins recipe? Its’ warm and cozy banana flavor. These banana muffins are just the right amount of sweet, but not too sweet, with the deliciously healthy and natural flavor of real bananas.
Simple & Easy to Make
Best of all, you’ll find that these healthy banana muffins are so simple and easy to make—in just 1 bowl. Could it get any better? For another 1-bowl banana recipe, try my Super Moist Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Healthy Recipe).
Secretly healthy banana muffins—you won’t believe how tasty and satisfying these healthy banana muffins are! Secretly made with whole ingredients.
Secretly healthy banana muffins? Who could resist? 🙂 Thank you for stopping by and sharing in these deliciously healthy baking adventures with me and your loved ones. ‘Til the next one…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
☀ Click below to Pin ☀
Healthy Banana Recipes & More
- Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins (Vegan)
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- Vegan Banana Brownies Recipe
- Vegan Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- Healthy Banana Recipes for Ripe Bananas
- 20+ Healthy Vegan Muffin Recipes
Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe: the BEST healthy banana muffins—secretly healthy, soft ‘n dense banana bread-style muffins with lightly sweet, comforting banana flavor. Made with healthy, whole ingredients.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons mashed, very ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with parchment muffin liners or unbleached muffin liners.
- Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter (recommended) or sturdy whisk, mash bananas until smooth. Add remaining wet ingredients: oil, sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add all dry ingredients: oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together as long as you can. If needed, switch to stirring and folding with a rubber spatula until well incorporated and no flour patches remain. Fold in nuts, if using.
- Using a large scoop, scoop and drop batter into prepared muffin pan. Fill batter completely to the top for a smaller quantity of high, round-topped muffins or ¾ of the way for a higher quantity of medium muffins. Use a spoon or spatula to shape the batter into a round top—the muffins will bake up very close to how they look raw–that’s why I love using the large scoop.
- Bake for 16-24 minutes. Mine took 20 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a toothpick into a muffin in the center of the pan. When the toothpick comes out clean-ish, with just a few moist bits, it’s done.
- Allow to cool in pan, set on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Then, transfer muffins directly onto the cooling rack to finish cooling for about 1 hour before storing, or enjoy immediately. Storing instructions below.
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Freezing Instructions: These muffins freeze well. Store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before enjoying. Or, heat in 15-second increments in the microwave until warm.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy banana muffins recipe, best healthy banana muffins
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Beaming Baker.