Vegan Chocolate Banana Nut Bread (V+GF): A one bowl recipe for rich, moist and chocolatey banana bread with walnuts. Vegan and Gluten Free.
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas (a little over 1 cup)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar*
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 5 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free oat flour
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy whisk or fork, mash bananas until smooth. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, sugar, flax egg and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add oat flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Gently fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Optional: lightly sprinkle with chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 65-80 minutes. (Mine took 75 minutes.) Test for doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of the loaf. The toothpick will come out clean when the loaf is done.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for about 1 hour. Lift out, slice and enjoy!
– *You may substitute coconut sugar with dark brown sugar.
– Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
– This loaf freezes well. Wrap in parchment paper and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes, or pop in the microwave for 30 seconds or more.
- Category: Breads, Vegan, Gluten Free, One Bowl