Deep chocolate flavor, chewy centers and melt-in-your-mouth decadence for the best Dark Chocolate Cookies! Like dark chocolate chip cookies + brownies combined.
- raw cacao powder
- medium cookie scoop
- nesting mixing bowls
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- unbleached parchment paper
- nonstick cookie sheet
Dark Chocolate Cookies
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons natural, unsalted creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted tahini
- 1 egg of choice
- ¼ cup + 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2–3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except chocolate chips. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until thoroughly mixed—making sure no flour or tahini/nut butter patches remain. Make sure to stir until a cohesive dough ball forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop and drop cookie dough onto baking sheet, evenly spaced apart. Do not roll cookie dough in the palm of your hands—this will cause the dough to warm up and release too much oil, resulting in spread out cookies with unseemly crisp edges.
- Using the palm of your hand, quickly press down to flatten cookies about halfway—they’ll spread just a bit while baking. Press chocolate chips into cookie tops. Press together any cracks or crumbles that form to create a mostly smooth-edged, round cookie.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes. Mine took 14 minutes. Place cookie sheet on a cooling rack, and allow cookies to cool directly on the sheet for 15-20 minutes—do not remove from sheet for at least 15 minutes, as cookies are fragile. You can underbake a little (12 minute end) for soft, but brownie-like cookies.
- Use a heatproof cookie spatula to gently transfer cookies directly onto the cooling rack to cool for about 30 minutes, or until completely cooled and not fragile. Enjoy! Storing notes below.
Storing Instructions: Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Freezing Instructions: Store cookies in a freezer-friendly container for 1-3 months in the freezer.
How to make Vegan: Use a flax egg (1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisked together, set for 15 minutes) and vegan chocolate chips.
How to make Gluten Free: Keep recipe as is.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American