Deliciously Healthy Orange Bread: soft ‘n moist healthy orange bread made with healthy, whole ingredients. Bursting with bright orange flavor.
- 2 ¼ cups oat flour
- ½ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup organic, unrefined confectioners’ sugar*
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange juice (start with less, make sure it’s white and thick, not too translucent)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients: oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, orange juice, orange zest, oil, sugar, and maple syrup. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Mine took 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to check for doneness—once it comes out clean with just a few moist bits (no wet batter!), it’s done.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 1 hour. Then, lift out of pan, transferring loaf along with parchment paper directly onto the cooling rack. Optionally, in a small bowl, whisk together Glaze ingredients until thickened: confectioners’ sugar and orange juice. Drizzle loaf. Allow to finish cooling for 1-2 hours. Slice loaf into 12 slices. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, or in a cool, dark environment. Glaze when ready to eat, or day of.
Freezing Instructions: Store in an airtight container or bag, unglazed, in the freezer for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave in 15-second increments until just warm.
*Powdered sugar substitutes: Swerve is a good sugar-free, low carb substitute. You can also grind the sweetener of your choice, such as Xylitol, in a coffee grinder or small blender until you get a powder. Since Swerve is a bit drier, use about 2 ½ teaspoons orange juice to make the glaze.
*You can also add more powdered sugar if you’d like a thicker glaze.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy orange bread