An amazing one bowl banana bread that’s gluten free and yields perfectly moist banana bread with a tender crumb and satisfying flavor. The best ever vegan gluten free banana bread!
Introducing the only Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe you’ll ever need. That’s right I said it. It’s Saturday and I can do whatever I dang well please! 😉 Plus, we’re allowed to go a bit bold, a bit adventurous and more than a bit sassy come the weekend! Or else what’s the point of all that hard work we did during the week, right?
Now before I go off on another tangent totally not related to magical one bowl banana bread, let me steer this recipe/ship towards the right location. Today’s the day we revisit one of my most popular banana bread recipes—in fact, the most reader-loved gluten free banana bread I’ve ever shared.
We’re going to chat about how to make vegan gluten free banana bread, how to store it, and why you’d even think about making this one bowl banana bread. Are you game? Let’s bake this!
Vegan Gluten Free Ingredients for Beautiful Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread
“Delicious vegan gluten free banana bread isn’t possible,” they said. “There is no such thing as a vegan gluten free banana bread recipe that isn’t gummy, gross and straight up inedible,” they cried. “Secretly gluten free one bowl banana bread might as well be a dream!!”, they ranted. Let’s defy what they all think and make the best friggin’ vegan gf banana bread ever. Wanna see what beautiful vegan gluten free ingredient we’re using? Let’s do it.
- Bananas: bananas are one of the most wonderful ingredients to work with, ain’t it? I love ripening my bananas as much as possible before mashing them up to make my vegan gluten free banana bread. Bonus? Bananas are naturally gluten free!
- Coconut oil: we’re trading the dairy (think: butter), and subbing it with vegan-friendly coconut oil. If you don’t have coconut oil on hand, melted vegan butter would probably be the closest substitute.
- Maple syrup: just the perfect amount to enhance the taste of bananas in the perfect vegan gluten free banana bread recipe!
- Gluten free oat flour and almond meal: If you’re new to vegan gluten free baking, these are two of my recommended ingredients to get for your pantry. GF oat flour creates a rich and cozy backdrop for nearly any flavor–the best being bananas, while almond meal pairs so beautifully with the sweet fruit. The nuttiness of almond meal truly brings out the flavor of bananas. Bonus? It’s naturally gluten free!
- Flax egg: my favorite vegan egg substitute. If you’ve never made a flax egg before, there’s nothing to worry about. It’s super easy! You can learn how to make a flax egg here.
- Add-ins: Try walnuts or whatever you’d like! I love vegan gluten free add-ins such as allergy-friendly chocolate chips, dried fruit, or seeds.
How to Make Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Mash & Whisk
Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash until mostly smooth.
Prepare the Wet Ingredients
Add the rest of the wet ingredients: coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg and vanilla. Whisk all the ingredients together until it’s well mixed.
Combine to make Banana Bread Batter
Add all of the dry ingredients to the same bowl (1-bowl, woohoo!!): oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Now whisk it all together until no flour patches remain.
Now, for the fun part: choosing your favorite add-ins! I love using walnuts for a classic banana bread taste, but feel free to use chocolate chips and more!
Once the batter is well-mixed, but not over-mixed, it will look like this:
Pour the Batter into a Loaf Pan
Pour your vegan gluten free banana bread batter into the loaf pan your prepared earlier. Smooth the batter out, then shape it to resemble a loaf—your loaf will bake up very much how it looks raw.
For fun, grab a butter knife and cut a slit slightly off center down the loaf. Once done, give the knife a wiggle back and forth in the slit to widen it. Go ahead and sprinkle your vegan gf banana bread with walnuts or your favorite topping.
Bake, Cool and Enjoy
Bake for about 65 minutes, cool and enjoy the best vegan gluten free banana bread!
How do I know when my bananas are ripened just-right for the best banana bread?
Good question! We’ve all been in the banana boat (couldn’t help it) where we’re trying to use green bananas to make banana bread. Unfortunately, that’s not gonna cut it. Green bananas have what some might call a vegetable-y taste. It’s not what’s intended for today’s perfect vegan gf banana bread. Here are some tips on when to know if a banana is the perfect ripeness for making banana bread:
- brown spots: when those brown spots start coming in, that’s when you know you’re getting close to perfectly ripe bananas for banana bread. Just–ignore the brown spots if they’re a result of rough handling. Yep, bananas can bruise, too. The brown spots you’re looking for naturally blossom as the bananas ripen.
- rich yellow color: still not sure, even with the brown spots? Look for a bold yellow color. Sometimes a banana can be green and have brown spots, so that’s not a good indicator. Look for a rich yellow color and brown spots.
- soft to the touch: lastly, I recommend gently picking one of your bananas up. Is it soft to the touch, or firm? If it’s firm, with a thick skin that feels almost plasticky, it’s not ready. If the skin seems to be getting almost… thinner, press your finger gently into the side of the banana. If it’s soft, it’s ready!
Isabel says, “LOVED this recipe. I did have to make a few modifications due to some allergies, but it was AMAZING!!! This is the first time I’ve ever baked banana bread, but I’ve tried gluten free/vegan bakeries, and nothing has compared to how delicious this recipe is!! I ended up making this twice… My kid who hates bananas LOVED them… Thanks for getting me so excited to bake!”
Maria says, “Second time making this – love it! Bananas and walnuts are just the perfect combination. Thanks.”
Sylvie says, “This was amazing! I baked it in an 8×8 pan as my family has declared war on “loaf” breads…it baked in 45 minutes in case anyone was wondering! I then made a thin glaze with powdered sugar, almond milk and vanilla extract…Fabulous!! thanks so much for this amazing recipe!”
Amanda says, “Just made this and it’s so great! My 4 year old son loved it and ate two pieces! Thank you for creating such a great recipe. I’ll be making this again soon. I modified only by adding a little less than 1/4 cup maple syrup.”
Storing and Freezing One Bowl Banana Bread
Store it at Room Temperature
You can absolutely store your one bowl banana bread at room temperature—just make sure to keep it away from direct sunlight and heat sources which could spoil it. Store vegan gf banana bread in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Some readers like it best on day 1, others on day 3. 😉
Store it in the Freezer
Go ahead and make a double batch so you can conveniently freeze your gluten free banana bread and enjoy it whenever you please! Just throw (okay, fine, gently slide) your vegan gluten free banana bread into a freezer-friendly container and keep it for about 1-2 months.
Just give it about 15-30 minutes to thaw at room temp before enjoying, or heat the banana bread in 10-second increments in the microwave until just warm.
The only vegan gluten free banana bread recipe you’ll ever need—1-bowl & easy, the best deliciously moist banana bread ever.
Grab just one bowl, a huge appetite, and get ready to bake it like it’s hot. Which it totally will be. Once the oven gets warm. It’s truly a pleasure to bake all the delicious vegan gf treats with you. And joke around, because life’s too short not to have a bunch of good laughs. I can’t wait to hear what you think of this recipe. ‘Til the next baking adventure…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
☀ Click below to Pin ☀
Banana Bread Recipes You’ll Love
- Super Moist Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Best Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Irresistible Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- Healthy Banana Recipes for Ripe Bananas
- NEW >> Secretly Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
- Vegan Banana Bread Bars – Healthy + Super Moist!
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you.