an amazing 1-bowl vegan gluten free banana bread recipe that yields perfectly moist banana bread bursting with banana flavor! Vegan, Gluten Free.
Introducing the only Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe you’ll ever need. That’s right I said it. It’s Saturday and I can do whatever I dang well please! 😉 Plus, we’re allowed to go a bit bold, a bit adventurous and more than a bit sassy come the weekend! Or else what’s the point of all that hard work we did during the week, right?
Now before I go off on another tangent totally not related to vegan gluten free banana bread, let me steer this recipe/ship towards the right location. Today’s the day we revisit one of my most popular banana bread recipes—in fact, the most reader-loved vegan GF banana bread I’ve ever shared.
We’re going to chat about how to make vegan gluten free banana bread, how to store it, and why you’d even think about making this vegan gf banana bread. Are you game? Let’s bake this!
Beautiful Vegan & Gluten Free Ingredients for Beautiful Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread
“Delicious vegan gluten free banana bread isn’t possible,” they said. “There is no such thing as a vegan gluten free banana bread recipe that isn’t gummy, gross and straight up inedible,” they cried. “Vegan gf banana bread might as well be a dream!!”, they ranted. Let’s defy what they all think and make the best friggin’ vegan gf banana bread ever. Wanna see what beautiful vegan gluten free ingredient we’re using? Let’s do it.
- Bananas: bananas are one of the most wonderful ingredients to work with, ain’t it? I love ripening my bananas as much as possible before mashing them up to make my vegan gluten free banana bread. Bonus? Bananas are naturally gluten free!
- Coconut oil: we’re trading the dairy (think: butter), and subbing it with vegan-friendly coconut oil. If you don’t have coconut oil on hand, melted vegan butter would probably be the closest substitute.
- Maple syrup: just the perfect amount to enhance the taste of bananas in the perfect vegan gluten free banana bread recipe!
- Gluten free oat flour and almond meal: If you’re new to vegan gluten free baking, these are two of my recommended ingredients to get for your pantry. GF oat flour creates a rich and cozy backdrop for nearly any flavor–the best being bananas, while almond meal pairs so beautifully with the sweet fruit. The nuttiness of almond meal truly brings out the flavor of bananas. Bonus? It’s naturally gluten free!
- Flax egg: my favorite vegan egg substitute. If you’ve never made a flax egg before, there’s nothing to worry about. It’s super easy! You can learn how to make a flax egg here.
- Walnuts: or whatever you’d like! Try your favorite vegan gluten free add-in, such as allergy-friendly chocolate chips, dried fruit, or seeds.
How to Make Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Mash & Whisk
Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash until mostly smooth. Add the rest of the wet ingredients: coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg and vanilla. Whisk all the ingredients together until it’s well mixed.
Add all of the dry ingredients to the same bowl (1-bowl, woohoo!!): oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Now whisk it all together until no flour patches remain. Fold in chopped walnuts or your favorite add-in.
Pour your vegan gluten free banana bread batter into the loaf pan your prepared earlier. Smooth the batter out, then shape it to resemble a loaf—your loaf will bake up very much how it looks raw. For fun, grab a butter knife and cut a slit slightly off center down the loaf. Once done, give the knife a wiggle back and forth in the slit to widen it. Go ahead and sprinkle your vegan gf banana bread with walnuts or your favorite topping.
Bake, Cool and Enjoy
Bake for about 65 minutes, cool and enjoy the best vegan gluten free banana bread!
Banana Recipes You’ll Love >> Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins (Vegan) // Vegan Banana Cookies with Peanut Butter (GF)
How do I know when my bananas are ripened just-right for the best banana bread?
Good question! We’ve all been in the banana boat (couldn’t help it) where we’re trying to use green bananas to make banana bread. Unfortunately, that’s not gonna cut it. Green bananas have what some might call a vegetable-y taste. It’s not what’s intended for today’s perfect vegan gf banana bread. Here are some tips on when to know if a banana is the perfect ripeness for making banana bread:
- brown spots: when those brown spots start coming in, that’s when you know you’re getting close to perfectly ripe bananas for banana bread. Just–ignore the brown spots if they’re a result of rough handling. Yep, bananas can bruise, too. The brown spots you’re looking for naturally blossom as the bananas ripen.
- rich yellow color: still not sure, even with the brown spots? Look for a bold yellow color. Sometimes a banana can be green and have brown spots, so that’s not a good indicator. Look for a rich yellow color and brown spots.
- soft to the touch: lastly, I recommend gently picking one of your bananas up. Is it soft to the touch, or firm? If it’s firm, with a thick skin that feels almost plasticky, it’s not ready. If the skin seems to be getting almost… thinner, press your finger gently into the side of the banana. If it’s soft, it’s ready!
Isabel says, “LOVED this recipe. I did have to make a few modifications due to some allergies, but it was AMAZING!!! This is the first time I’ve ever baked banana bread, but I’ve tried gluten free/vegan bakeries, and nothing has compared to how delicious this recipe is!! I ended up making this twice… My kid who hates bananas LOVED them… Thanks for getting me so excited to bake!”
Maria says, “Second time making this – love it! Bananas and walnuts are just the perfect combination. Thanks.”
Sylvie says, “This was amazing! I baked it in an 8×8 pan as my family has declared war on “loaf” breads…it baked in 45 minutes in case anyone was wondering! I then made a thin glaze with powdered sugar, almond milk and vanilla extract…Fabulous!! thanks so much for this amazing recipe!”
Amanda says, “Just made this and it’s so great! My 4 year old son loved it and ate two pieces! Thank you for creating such a great recipe. I’ll be making this again soon. I modified only by adding a little less than 1/4 cup maple syrup.”
Storing and Freezing Vegan GF Banana Bread
Store it at Room Temperature
You can absolutely store your vegan gf banana bread at room temperature—just make sure to keep it away from direct sunlight and heat sources which could spoil it. Store vegan gf banana bread in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Some readers like it best on day 1, others on day 3. 😉
Store it in the Freezer
Go ahead and make a double batch so you can conveniently freeze your vegan gluten free banana bread and enjoy it whenever you please! Just throw (okay, fine, gently slide) your vegan gluten free banana bread into a freezer-friendly container and keep it for about 1-2 months.
Just give it about 15-30 minutes to thaw at room temp before enjoying, or heat the banana bread in 10-second increments in the microwave until just warm.
Also try >> Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe // Vegan Banana Brownies Recipe // Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Bars // Deliciously Healthy Orange Bread
The only vegan gluten free banana bread recipe you’ll ever need—1-bowl & easy, the best deliciously moist banana bread ever.
Grab just one bowl, a huge appetite, and get ready to bake it like it’s hot. Which it totally will be. Once the oven gets warm. It’s truly a pleasure to bake all the delicious vegan gf treats with you. And joke around, because life’s too short not to have a bunch of good laughs. I can’t wait to hear what you think of this recipe. ‘Til the next baking adventure…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
☀ Click below to Pin ☀
Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipes & More
- Super Moist Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Best Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Irresistible Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- Healthy Banana Recipes for Ripe Bananas
- NEW >> Secretly Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
- Vegan Banana Bread Bars – Healthy + Super Moist!
Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread (GF): an amazing 1-bowl vegan gluten free banana bread recipe that yields perfectly moist banana bread bursting with banana flavor! Vegan, Gluten Free.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons mashed, ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped or your favorite add-in (chocolate chips, chopped dried fruit, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped or favorite add-in
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter (recommended) or sturdy whisk, mash bananas until smooth. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer, with the shape of a rise down the center—just like a loaf. The loaf will bake up very similarly to how it looks raw—now is the time to shape it. Using a butter knife, cut a slit slightly off center down the loaf. Take the butter knife and go back into the slit, gently wiggling the knife back and forth to widen the slit/seam. Optionally, sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Lightly press walnuts into the top.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes. Mine took 65 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of the loaf. The toothpick will come out clean when the loaf is done. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 2 hours. Lift out, slice and enjoy!
Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipes & More
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week at room temperature.
Freezing Instructions: This loaf freezes well. Store in a freezer-friendly, airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes, or heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warm.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Category: Snack, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan gluten free banana bread, vegan gf banana bread
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Beaming Baker.