Vegan Gluten Free Donuts: soft ‘n fluffy vegan gf chocolate donuts topped with luxurious vegan chocolate glaze. The best gluten free vegan donut recipe!
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- 1 batch Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- vegan chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat two 6-donut pans with nonstick spray or coconut oil. If using a non-stick donut pan with the non-stick coating intact (fairly new), do not spray. Set aside.
- Make the donuts: In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: oat flour, cacao powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Pour or spoon batter evenly into prepared donut pans. Tap the pans several times to even out the batter and release bubbles that have formed in the batter. Bake for 10-14 minutes. Mine took 12 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick—it should come out clean when done.
- Place pans on a cooling rack to cool for 10-15 minutes. Bang the pan vigorously on a flat surface covered with a towel (to protect the surface) to loosen donuts—you’ll see a donut or two jump up when they’re loose. Flip pan upside down onto the cooling rack to remove donuts. If necessary, bang the pan again to loosen leftover donuts. Allow to cool until completely cool.
- Make the Chocolate Ganache: follow recipe to make Chocolate Ganache here. Gently dip one cooled donut into the ganache, with the smooth, baked surface covered in ganache. Donuts are soft and require care in dipping. Place donut back onto the cooling rack while assembling the rest. Optionally, top with chocolate sprinkles. Repeat for all donuts. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Best stored in an airtight container at room temperature, in a cool, dark environment (out of the sun) for 4-6 days.
Day 2: donuts are firmer and flavor intensifies to a rich, deeper chocolate flavor. So good!
For firmer donuts quickly, chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes max, then enjoy or continue to store at room temperature. Storing in the refrigerator overnight is not recommended—ganache on donuts will become too moist & develop moisture beads.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan gluten free donuts, vegan chocolate donuts