Vegan Coconut Chocolate Bars: this 5 ingredient coconut bars recipe yields thick, indulgent coconut bars enrobed in a velvety layer of rich chocolate. Healthy, Paleo, No Bake, Gluten Free.
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, solid or melted
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut cream*
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with wax paper or parchment paper. Set aside for later.
- Make the Coconut Bars: Add coconut flakes, coconut oil, coconut cream, and maple syrup to a food processor. Blend until you get a wet and sticky mixture, with smaller, just slightly noticeable coconut pieces. Note: the bigger the pieces, the crumblier the bars will be.
- Pour coconut mixture into the prepared pan. Press down and smooth until you get a tightly-packed layer. Set aside while preparing the chocolate layer.
- Make the Chocolate Layer: Use the double boiler method, or the following. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, add Chocolate Layer ingredients: chocolate chips and coconut cream. Heat in 15-second increments until just slightly softened and melted, being careful not to burn. Stir thoroughly in between heating increments, until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate over coconut bars. Using a clean rubber spatula, smooth into an even layer. Freeze for 40-70 minutes. The longer the bars chill, the cleaner and less crumbly the slices (a little crumble is normal). Slice into 16 bars. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
More Delicious Coconut Recipes
*How to replace coconut cream with cream from canned coconut milk: the night before, place a can of full-fat coconut milk (cans NOT marked “light”) in the fridge, being careful not to shake the contents. Day of, open the can and gently scoop the solid, white coconut layer off the top—this is coconut cream.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator. If freezing, store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw for 15 minutes before enjoying.
Room Temperature Storing: Okay to store at room temperature for 3-4 hours, but soft and a bit fragile. Best if kept in the refrigerator.
What Food Processor Do I Use? I get this question all the time and I’m here to tell ya, this is my favorite Food Processor. It’s so easy to use, really thorough at blending and chopping up just about anything and it’s affordable. Nice!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Chill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan coconut bars, coconut chocolate bars