Irresistible, easy, with just a touch of fancy—caramelized bananas take any dessert (or breakfast) to the next level. Tender bananas coated in nearly-burnt vanilla caramel sauce for the best caramelized bananas!
- Peel banana, then slice into thick coins—about ¾” thick. Thin coins will be too fragile and difficult to flip.
- Set a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and butter. Stir the butter around, mixing it into the brown sugar and allowing it to melt. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, and the mixture is well mixed and bubbling.
- Add banana pieces. Cook until one side of the bananas is coated and caramelized, with some sear marks, about 2 minutes.
- Gently flip bananas, making sure to coat the other side of the bananas. Cook for about 1 minute, or until seared and the caramel is just about to burn.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk. Stir gently to incorporate. Cook until bubbling, sticky and thick.
- Just before the caramel is burnt, remove from heat.
- Add in remaining 1 tablespoon milk—this will return moisture to the sticky caramel to create a beautiful sauce. Stir the milk into the caramel sauce until well mixed, being gentle with the bananas.
- Serve over ice cream by gently placing bananas over ice cream. Then, scoop the caramel sauce out of the pan and pour over the bananas.
How to make Vegan: Use organic brown sugar, vegan butter, and nondairy milk. I used oatmilk and absolutely loved it.
How to make Gluten Free: Keep the recipe as is!
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook