Tender, scrumptious cinnamon streusel muffins topped with sweet, crumbly streusel, cinnamon goodness, and delicious brown sugar!
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING:
- make this streusel topping recipe
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour or gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour* – or 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Make 1 batch of streusel topping. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, and salt.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted butter from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, lemon juice, butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in pecans.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared muffin pan—I spread mine into 11 muffins. 12 muffins should be fine, too.
- Top with streusel. Press streusel into batter, ensuring that the batter adheres. This way the streusel won’t fall off while baking. This recipe makes a lot of streusel—keep adding more streusel to each muffin until evenly distributed.
- Once fully topped with streusel, use a spoon to press streusel into the batter, forming a dome (a peak in the center of each muffin) for pretty tops. Don’t smush the streusel into a flat layer—make sure to keep the crumbles alive!
- Bake for 22-28 minutes. Mine took 26 minutes. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness—once it comes out clean, it’s done. Place pan on a cooling rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Gently remove muffins from muffin pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 30 more minutes. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
How to substitute Almond Flour? Swap with an additional 6 tablespoons flour. You’d add this amount onto the existing 2 ¼ cups flour in the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 1 week in a cool, dark environment.
To Freeze: Store muffins in an airtight container, in the freezer for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warm.
How to make Vegan: use vegan butter or coconut oil and organic brown sugar.
How to make Gluten Free: use gluten free oat flour.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American