This oatmeal cookies recipe yields soft & lightly sweet healthy oatmeal cookies with spiced, buttery-rich flavor, lightly crispy edges and a tender moist, interior.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup all purpose flour or oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside for later.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients: oil or butter, sugar, maple syrup, egg and vanilla. Whisk until thoroughly combined and resembles caramel.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Whisk as long as you can, then switch to stirring and folding with a rubber or silicone spatula until thoroughly combined and thickened. The dough will be sticky.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop and drop balls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a fork, flatten cookies into a round disc—they will not spread during baking.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes. Mine took 10 minutes. Place baking sheet on a cooling rack, allowing cookies to firm up on the pan for 10 minutes. Using a flat, heatproof spatula, carefully lift cookies off the baking sheet and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
How to make Vegan: use coconut oil, coconut sugar or organic cane sugar and a flax egg or chia egg.
- For the flax egg: 1 flax egg equals 1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisked together, set for 15 minutes.
How to make Gluten Free: use gluten free rolled oats and gluten free oat flour.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy oatmeal cookies, healthy oatmeal cookie recipe