Vegan Chocolate Frosting Recipe: a smooth, silky & creamy dairy free frosting recipe—healthy, refined sugar-free! This paleo chocolate frosting is so easy, with 2 ingredients: coconut cream and chocolate, perfect for frosting chocolate cake & cupcakes! Chocolate coconut cream frosting without a coconut taste.
- The night before, place can of coconut cream into the refrigerator to chill. This will make it easier to scoop the firm cream out of the can–leaving behind any extra coconut juice. Instructions on using full-fat coconut milk in Notes.*
- Use the double boiler method to melt the chocolate and coconut cream, or do the following: add coconut cream and chocolate chips to a large microwave-safe bowl—use a deep bowl if you plan to whip the frosting later in this bowl. Heat in 30-second increments until melted and smooth. Stir between heating increments, until chocolate is melted. Once completely melted, whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Transfer to refrigerator to chill for 2-5 hours. It’s done when the mixture is medium firm, similar to a very firm gel. It will be stiff enough to be solid, but lightly depresses when pressing a finger into it. See Figure A.
- Using a spoon, scoop this mixture into a large, deep mixing bowl for whipping (or use the same bowl). You may also transfer to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. If the texture is right, it won’t be too hard to spoon. See Figure B.
- Allow to soften and warm up a bit at room temperature, for about 10-15 minutes. It should be soft enough to whip, but firm enough to not become liquidy when whipping. See Figure C.
- Using a hand mixer, or a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the frosting mixture until fluffy. The color of the mixture will lighten to that of milk chocolate. See Figure D.
- Frost completely cooled Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes. Or, make a double batch for my favorite Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe. Enjoy!
For Paleo Cupcakes, try my rich & moist Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe.
- *To use canned full-fat (not light) coconut milk, do the following: The night before, chill 2 cans of full fat coconut milk, being careful not to shake the contents. Open the can (or cans, if needed) and scoop the firm, white solid part off the top—this is the coconut cream. Measure out what’s needed.
- This frosting recipe makes enough frosting for 12 cupcakes with medium high frosted tops.
- Use frosting immediately after whipping. Frosted cupcakes will keep for 3 days at room temperature. Store frosted cupcakes in an airtight container, in a cool, dark environment for up to 3 days.
- For Paleo Cupcakes, try my rich & moist Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe.
- Category: Healthy Dessert, Paleo, Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Method: Chill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan chocolate frosting, healthy chocolate frosting recipe, gluten free dairy free frosting recipe, paleo chocolate frosting