Deliciously chewy oats, crunchy walnuts and soft, sweet apple bits come together for hearty and healthy breakfast cookies that taste like apple pie and breakfast oatmeal in one delicious treat! Vegan-friendly.
- 1 ¼ cups ap flour or oat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned, rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water, whisked together, set for 10 mins) or egg or choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup very finely chopped apples
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped (or ¼ cup walnuts and ¼ cup raisins for added sweetness)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: melted vegan butter or coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla.
- Pour dry ingredients over the wet ingredients in the large bowl. Stir and fold with a rubber spatula until very well mixed, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold apples into the dough, until well incorporated. Fold in walnuts and raisins, if using.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop and drop balls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a fork, flatten each cookie to desired thickness—mine was about 1/3” thick.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes. Mine took 14 minutes.
- Move baking sheet onto a cooling rack to allow cookies to set for about 5 minutes. Then, using a heatproof spatula, lift and transfer cookies directly onto a cooling rack. Cool cookies for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Store cookies for up to 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American