Fudgy Vegan Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (Gluten Free): this vegan gluten free brownies recipe is made from scratch & easy! It’s the fudgiest chocolate peanut butter swirl brownies ever—with thick ribbons of peanut butter and rich, moist brownie flavor! Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free.
- ¼ cup natural, unsalted creamy peanut butter (learn how to make homemade peanut butter)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons gluten free oat flour – if using homemade, make sure it’s finely ground, not coarse
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Swirl
- ½ cup natural, unsalted creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons organic, unrefined confectioners’ sugar OR gluten free oat flour (begin with 1 tablespoon, add more as needed)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Make the Brownies: In a medium bowl, whisk together ¼ cup peanut butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Whisk until it resembles caramel.
- Add cocoa powder in ¼ cup increments, whisking until shiny and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Whisk in flax eggs, vanilla and salt. Add oat flour. Using a rubber spatula, fold until well-incorporated and no flour patches remain.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer.
- Make the Peanut Butter Swirl: Add Peanut Butter Swirl ingredients to a bowl: peanut butter and confectioners sugar. Using a fork, stir together until well-mixed and thickened. Spoon dollops of peanut butter mixture over brownie batter. Evenly distribute pockets of peanut butter throughout batter—leaving some batter bare. Dip a butter knife into the batter and swirl. Do not over-stir, as doing so will remove swirls.
- Bake for 31-35 mins. Mine took about 33 minutes. Cool for 1 hour, or until completely cool. Slice.
- For clean slices, completely cool, then do this: chill for 1-3 hours in the refrigerator, then slice. Cold brownies will be dense and firm like fudge. To soften, allow to reach room temperature, or heat in 10-second increments until just soft. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
For brownies made with almond flour, try my Ultimate Fudgy Paleo Vegan Brownies.
- Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks at room temperature. If storing in the refrigerator, brownies will firm up and become fudge-like, and keep for up to 3 weeks.
- These brownies freeze well. Store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature for 10-20 minutes before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Category: Brownies, Healthy Dessert, Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free