Lightly sweet, superbly soft crumb that’s halfway between bread and a muffin for bountiful oat flour blueberry muffins that’ll brighten your day!
- 2 ¼ cups GF oat flour or homemade gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients: oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, lemon juice, oil, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Using a large scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan—fill all the way to the top for about 10 high-topped muffins; or ¾ of the way for about 12 medium-sized muffins. Using a spoon, smooth batter into an even layer with a dome in the center. Batter will closely bake up to how it looks raw.
- Bake for 22-30 minutes. Mine took 26 minutes. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness—once it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Gently remove muffins from muffin pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 1.5 hours. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Storing Instructions: Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, or in a cool, dark environment.
To Freeze: Store muffins in an airtight container or bag, in the freezer for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warm.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American