Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread Coffee Cake Recipe (Easy, Healthy) – with Streusel Topping. This moist ‘n healthy vegan banana coffee cake recipe is easy & gluten free, with yummy streusel topping! Healthy, Refined Sugar-Free, V, GF.
Did you know that coffee cake doesn’t have coffee in it?
WOAH!! Last year, I shared my gluten free vegan pumpkin coffee cake and I often got the question, “why is it called Coffee Cake if there’s no coffee in it?”
Being no expert on All the Things in Life, I was like, “wait a minute, are folks expecting coffee in this?” I, myself, had never had coffee cake with actual coffee in it. Coffee cake seemed to be named for the fact that it was enjoyed with coffee, not with coffee in it. (At least to the best of my knowledge.)
So I fielded the question over to my highly-knowledgeable and conveniently-globally-situated-for-a-better-sampling Instagram followers. A few folks said they expected coffee to be in said coffee cake; however the majority agreed: It’s called coffee cake because you eat it with coffee!
Let’s get the debate cookin’! Or… bakin’? 😉 In the meantime, I hope (pshaw, know) that you’ll enjoy my easy and healthy vegan gluten free banana bread coffee cake recipe, regardless of the fact that it does not have coffee in it, but does come with streusel topping!!! Wooooohooo! 😉
Easy Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread Coffee Cake Recipe
The whole concept of banana bread + coffee cake in one recipe is kinda new to me. Have you tried it before? I’ve always been a big fan of banana bread and a fan of coffee cake, but never thought to throw them together into one easy recipe. Today, we’re gonna enjoy a tasty hybrid of the two so we can get a taste of the best of both worlds: banana + cake!!
How to Make Gluten Free Vegan Banana Coffee Cake
If you’ve got super ripe bananas on your counter, you’re halfway there! Okay, like an actual quarter of the way there. 😉 To make this banana bread coffee cake, you first prep the vegan streusel: add gluten free oat flour, coconut oil, coconut sugar, pecans and cinnamon to a bowl. Use a fork to stir them all together until well mixed.
Then, whisk together all the wet ingredients: bananas, coconut oil, maple syrup, vegan flax egg and vanilla. Whisk in the dry ingredients: oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Then pour the banana bread mixture into a prepared baking pan. Top with coffee cake streusel and bake for 30-40 minutes. Slice and enjoy! That’s it!
How to Store Healthy Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
Store your gluten free vegan banana coffee cake in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge (keep in mind that the chilly temps will harden the streusel topping). You can also store the coffee cake in the freezer. Simply allow to thaw for 30 minutes at room temperature, or heat in the microwave in 5-second increments until just warmed.
Substitution Notes for this Easy Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread Coffee Cake Recipe
- Gluten free oat flour: sub with gluten free all purpose flour. If you have gluten free rolled/old-fashioned oats on hand, you can make your own homemade oat flour here! 😉
- Almond meal: sub with almond flour, cashew meal, or sunflower seed meal.
- Coconut oil: sub with melted vegan butter or your favorite flavorless oil
- Coconut sugar: sub with organic brown sugar or organic cane sugar
- Pecans: sub with any nuts
- Maple syrup: sub with your favorite liquid sweetener, such as: brown rice syrup, agave, honey, etc.
- Flax egg: sub with chia egg (same directions, but use ground chia seeds instead of flax), or regular eggs
- Note: the more changes/substitutions made to the recipe, the less I can guarantee ideal results. Keep that in mind & learn what subs work through experimentation! Good luck! 🙂
Tools to Make This Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread Coffee Cake Recipe
Click the links below to check out my favorite tools & ingredients used to make this recipe.
- Pastry Cutter – my favorite tool for mashing bananas! This tool makes banana mashing so easy & there’s very little cleanup!
- 8-inch pan – super sturdy, so reliable, and my favorite pan to bake with!
- Almond Meal – such a great quality almond meal at an amazing price.
- Coconut Oil – love the scent & flavor of this coconut oil. Totally a vegan & gluten free baking essential.
Are you ready to get your banana bread on? How ‘bout your coffee cake? Let’s bake two breads with one recipe! (Yeah… that wasn’t as catchy as the bird thing, but it’s less creepy! Hehe.) Thank you so much for stopping by and testing out new recipes with me! It’s my greatest joy in life to share in these moments with you. I can’t wait to hear what you and your loved ones think. In the meantime…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
.︎ Click below to Pin .︎
More Easy & Healthy Vegan Banana Bread & Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins Recipe – two yummy fruits in one easy recipe!
- Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Cookies – ‘cuz: cookies for breakfast 😉
- Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins – a longtime reader fave ❤️
- Moist Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Easy Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe (Vegan, Dairy-Free)
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.