How to Make Banana Muffin Tops (V, GF): this moist vegan muffin top recipe is easy & healthy! Learn how to make banana muffin tops – gluten-free & dairy-free! Refined Sugar-Free.
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas (1 cup + 2 tablespoons, mashed)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour — if using homemade, make sure it’s very finely ground, not coarse
- 1 ¼ cups unblanched almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy whisk, fork or pastry cutter, mash bananas until smooth. Add coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in vegan chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop and drop balls of thick batter onto the prepared baking sheet, spaced evenly apart. I used 3 tablespoons of batter for the tops. Tops will expand and spread just a bit. Optionally, dot each muffin top with chocolate chips. Give the pan a few taps to help lightly flatten the tops.
- For smaller tops, bake for 13-18 minutes. My smaller tops took 15 minutes. For larger tops, bake for 15-20 minutes. My larger tops took 17 minutes.
- Allow tops to cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes (on a cooling rack). Using a heatproof spatula, transfer tops directly to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing. Storing instructions below. Enjoy!
Adapted from my Best Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
– Storage notes: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
– Freezing instructions: store in a freezer-friendly container or bag for 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warm.
– Nutrition Information: is an estimate based on the best-selling, most common brands per ingredient. Also, it’s estimated based on 29 servings per recipe, without the optional chocolate chip topping.
- Category: Healthy Breakfast, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
- Serving Size: 1 medium muffin top
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 20mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg