Moist Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (V, GF): a one bowl recipe for perfectly moist banana muffins bursting with chocolate chips! Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free.
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup gluten free oat flour
- ¾ cup almond meal* (Nut-Free substitution in Notes)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy whisk or fork, mash bananas until smooth. Add remaining wet ingredients: oil, sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add all dry ingredients: oat flour, almond meal*, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.
- Using a large scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into muffin cups. I use this ice cream scoop for easy scooping and a beautiful domed top**. If needed, smooth batter into an even layer, with a domed top (rise) in the center. Optional: sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 16-22 minutes. Mine took 18 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for about 1 hour. Lift out and enjoy!
– Adapted from my Double Chocolate Banana Muffins and my One Bowl Gluten Free Vegan Banana Nut Bread.
– *To substitute almond meal with oat flour: use a TOTAL of 1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons gluten free oat flour. Muffins will be just a touch drier and not as fluffy, but still good!
**I like to use this ice cream scoop to scoop and drop one scoop of batter into each muffin liner. This scoop helps control the batter, prevent messes and gives you a nice rounded top. Tip: after dropping scoops, lightly tap the pan to even out the batter.
– Storage notes: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
– Freezing instructions: These muffins freeze well. Store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before enjoying. Or, heat in 15-second increments in the microwave until warm.
– More gluten free muffin recipes: banana nut muffins, dark chocolate muffins, maple pecan pumpkin muffins.
- Category: Muffin, Breakfast, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free