Easy Vegan Lemon Almond Poppy Seed Bread Recipe (Gluten-Free, Healthy): this easy gluten free lemon almond poppy seed bread recipe is moist, fluffy and bursting with lemon flavor! It’s the best vegan lemon poppy seed bread – gluten-free, dairy-free, healthy! Refined Sugar-Free.
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup organic, unrefined confectioners’ sugar* (sugar-free substitute in notes)
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice (start with less, make sure it’s white and thick, not too translucent)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients except salt and poppy seeds: oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk in salt and poppy seeds.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, sugar, maple syrup and almond extract. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Mine took 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to check for doneness—once it comes out clean with just a few moist bits (no wet batter!), it’s done.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 1 hour. Then, lift out of pan, transferring loaf along with parchment paper directly onto the cooling rack. Optionally, in a small bowl, whisk together Glaze ingredients until thickened: confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle loaf. Top with sliced almonds. Allow to finish cooling for 1-2 hours. Slice loaf into 12 slices. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Adapted from my Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
– Storage notes: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, or in a cool, dark environment. Glaze when ready to eat, or day of.
– To Freeze: store in an airtight container or bag, unglazed, in the freezer for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave in 15-second increments until just warm.
– *Powdered sugar substitutes: Swerve powdered sugar is a good sugar-free, low carb substitute. You can also grind the sweetener of your choice, such as Xylitol, in a coffee grinder or small blender until you get a powder. Since Swerve is a bit drier, use about 2 ½ teaspoons lemon juice to make the glaze.
– *You can also add more powdered sugar if you’d like a thicker glaze.
– Nutrition Information: is an estimate based on the best-selling, most common brands per ingredient. Also, it’s estimated based on 12 servings per recipe, made without optional glaze or topping. 🙂
- Category: Healthy Baking, Quick Breads, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 63mg
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g